Submitting Data to EPA Using WQX
Here are the initial steps an organization needs to take in order to begin
submitting data through WQX:
Schema mapping and node / node client set-up
- Ensure that you are able to generate an XML file from your local
water quality data management system that maps to the WQX schema and WQX
domain value lists. For assistance with this, please refer to the
WQX Implementation Resources and Downloads page.
- Determine whether your organization will use a fully operational Exchange
Network node or a node-client for submitting WQX data. For information about
developing nodes, or downloading an example node-client, please refer to the
Exchange Network website.
- Refer to the WQX Flow Configuration Document (available on the Exchange Network WQX site
) for details about the
processes and rules that your node or node-client will need to follow in
order to submit data through WQX.
Test your data
- CDX requires that anyone submitting data over the Exchange Network
must first do so in a test environment to ensure proper configuration and
functionality. For WQX, we recommend that users send a small file
(for example, just your monitoring activities) to the test environment.
Data submitted to the test environment is not migrated into production, so
you will need to resend any data submitted under test to production.
A test NAAS Account as well as WQX ORG ID are required to send a test submission.
- Once test data is successfully submitted, please notify the STORET
Team, so that we can set up your WQX ORG ID within the production environment.
Unless otherwise desired by an organization, WQX ORG IDs remain the same for both test and production.
CDX NAAS Account and WQX Organization ID
A CDX Network Authentication Authorization Service or "NAAS" Account as well
as a WQX Organization ID are required for submitting data through WQX.
NAAS Accounts must be set up for both test and production environments.
- Individual users wishing to obtain a CDX NAAS Account for test and
production will need to request this account through his or her
Node Administrator. Node Administrator contact information
can be found on the
Exchange Network Contacts
- Once a NAAS Account has been set up for the test and/or production
environment, please contact the STORET Team.
- The STORET Team will set up a WQX ORG ID that associates with either
a test or production NAAS Account, making the system ready to be accessed.
WQX ORG IDs
All Organizations submitting data through WQX will require a new WQX
Organization ID that is unique from any previous STORET Org IDs. This ensures that
users do not duplicate data already within an Organization in the STORET
Warehouse when submitting data through WQX. EPA will work with users to
assign new Org IDs. Options for new WQX Org ID's include:
- Same Org ID as what is in STORET (if applicable) with "_WQX" at the end
- Completely new WQX Org ID (If your organization has never had a STORET
Org ID, then you will just create a new WQX Org ID)
In order to set up a WQX Org ID, please contact the STORET help desk either by email (email@example.com)
or by phone (1-800-424-9067). You will choose a WQX Org ID, and we
will ask that you provide us with the following information in order to set up the Org ID:
- Org ID: (can be up to 30 characters long)
- Organization Name:
- Contact Name:
- Contact Email:
- Date Needed: