Home Menu
WaterSense: Meets EPA Critera WaterSense Seal An EPA Partnership Program

Frequently Asked Questions

WaterSense Certification and Labeling of High-Efficiency Toilets

How do I get the WaterSense label for my high-efficiency toilet?

The first step toward obtaining the WaterSense label is for the product manufacturer to enter into a WaterSense partnership agreement with EPA. Manufacturers can sign a WaterSense partnership agreement with EPA once a draft specification has been released for a product they produce or manufacture under a private label. Under the partnership agreement, manufacturers will have 12 months to obtain certification for a product that conforms to the relevant WaterSense specification.

The second step is to have one of EPA's licensed certifying bodies certify your product for conformance to theHigh-Efficiency Tank-Type Toilet Specification. Manufacturers apply directly to the licensed certifying body for certification. Once your product is certified, the licensed certifying body will provide you with artwork for the WaterSense label with its name underneath the label. You must use this label in accordance with the WaterSense label use guidelines.

Which certifying bodies can certify my product?

A listing of EPA licensed certifying bodies is posted on the WaterSense Web site or may be obtained from the WaterSense Helpline at (866) WTR-SENS (987-7367). Certifying bodies are approved for each individual specification, so be sure to choose one that is licensed to the High-Efficiency Tank-Type Toilet Specification.

What about products previously tested under the predecessor UNAR specification?

Products previously tested under the UNAR specification must be certified for conformance to the WaterSense High-Efficiency Tank-Type Toilet Specification in order to earn the WaterSense label.

How much will product certification cost?

The cost structure for product certification is determined by the licensed certifying bodies. EPA anticipates that the testing fee and cost for certification of products, which may include opening a new certification file or adding models to an existing file, will be in line with the current cost structure to have tank-type toilets certified by an accredited certifying body.

How long will certification take?

The exact process and timing will be determined by the licensed certifying body conducting the certification. Licensed certifying bodies recognize that time to market is an important consideration and will compete for a manufacturer's business in this area. EPA anticipates that the time to achieve product certification to WaterSense specifications will be similar to the time it currently takes to get plumbing products certified to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and other relevant standards.

How will consumers know my product has been certified? Only products certified to WaterSense specifications are allowed to bear the WaterSense label. In addition, EPA maintains a Web registry of WaterSense labeled products. To get your products included on this list you must submit to EPA a new certified product notification form for each certified model. EPA will verify the product certification information with the licensed certifying body that conducted the certification. This process, from notification to listing on the WaterSense Web site, may take up to two weeks.

I am an overseas manufacturer looking to get my products certified for WaterSense. Will there be certifying bodies in my country that can conduct the certification?

WaterSense anticipates that at least some of its licensed certifying bodies will have offices worldwide with the capability to conduct product certifications for WaterSense. Please keep in mind, however, that to be eligible for the WaterSense label, you must sell or intend to sell products in the United States that meet the relevant WaterSense specification within one year of partnership with EPA. Please contact one or more of EPA's licensed certifying bodies to determine if they certify products in your area.

Will this certification process apply to all products?

EPA will require all WaterSense labeled products to be certified by a licensed certifying body. EPA may, however, adjust the specific certification requirements as appropriate for individual product categories.

This document is also available in PDF (2 pp, 38K, About PDF).

1 Uniform North American Requirements (UNAR) for toilet fixtures, a supplementary specification developed in 2005 for water utilities.

Top of page