Learn About WaterSense Partnership
—Arizona Department of Water Resources
Water is in high demand and short supply in many markets. Faced with population increase, supply issues, aging infrastructure, climate change, inefficiency, and waste, it's time to amplify your water-efficiency efforts. Using water efficiently today makes sense for consumers, communities, and the environment, while conserving resources for future generations.
EPA created WaterSense as a credible, national brand with a strong and consistent water-efficiency message to embrace these goals. Working together, we can promote the value of water and help consumers and organizations make smart choices regarding water use and water-using products.
Introduction to WaterSense
Would you like to find out if WaterSense is a good fit for your organization? WaterSense has created a recorded webcast for prospective partners and other interested organizations, which outlines water efficiency issues, explains more about the WaterSense label and new homes program, and outlines the benefits of joining the program.
Previously recorded webinars are available here:
- WaterSense 101 (PPS) (41.1MB) | Presentation (PDF) (26 pp, 2.5MB, About PDF)
- New Homes 101: February 6, 2013 | Audio (.wav) (29.5MB) | Presentation (PDF) (39 pp, 2.7MB, About PDF)
WaterSense Partner Types
WaterSense works with several different types of organizations. Please review the table below to see where your organization fits and visit the eligibility section for the complete list of requirements:
Please note: Organizations are prohibited from earning a profit from the use of WaterSense program tools and materials.
|Who||Basic Role||Partner Type|
|Builders||Build new homes in accordance with the WaterSense New Home Specification.||Builder|
|Distributors||Distribute WaterSense labeled products.||Retailers & Distributors|
|Licensed Certification Providers||Hire or contract with inspectors, train inspectors, oversee new home inspections, and issue certification decisions for inspected homes to earn the WaterSense label.||Licensed Certification Provider|
|Manufacturers||Manufacture products eligible to earn the WaterSense label.||Manufacturer|
|Nonprofit Organizations||Promote WaterSense and water efficiency.||Promotional|
|Professional Certifying Organizations||Meets the requirements of the WaterSense Professional Certification Program Labeling System and sponsors or adopts a professional program that meets WaterSense specifications for certification programs.||Professional Certifying Organizations|
|Retailers||Sell WaterSense labeled products.||Retailers & Distributors|
|Trade Associations||Support members that are eligible to join as a WaterSense partner.||Promotional|
|Utilities/Water Districts/Government Agencies (state, federal, and local agencies)||Promote WaterSense and water efficiency. Include environmental departments, municipal programs, local governments, water agencies, water districts, wholesalers, public utilities, private utilities, wastewater treatment facilities, water boards, and public utility commissions.||Promotional|
What Do WaterSense Partners Do?
WaterSense partners are ambassadors spreading the water-efficiency message. Partners help educate the public while transforming the marketplace to include WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and certification programs.
WaterSense partnership is free! Simply sign and submit a partnership agreement to join the program. This important step initiates the partnership and demonstrates your organization's commitment to WaterSense.
By signing a partnership agreement, partners agree to:
- Promote the value of water efficiency and WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and programs.
- Adhere to the Program Guidelines and the Program Mark Guidelines.
- Feature WaterSense on websites and related promotional materials.
- Abide by the general terms and disclaimers outlined on the partnership agreement.
- Certify at least one new home to meet EPA's WaterSense Single-Family New Home Specification within one year of becoming a partner and at least one new home every year thereafter.
- Work with a licensed certification provider to coordinate inspections of new homes to earn the label.
- Submit annual data.
- Review partner eligibility requirements or join now by completing a Builder Partnership Agreement online.
Licensed Certification Providers
- Meet the responsibilities outlined in the WaterSense Labeled New Home Certification System, including certification of new homes and oversight of inspectors.
- Sign and issue the WaterSense label certificate and optional sticker to builders of certified new homes.
- Notify EPA quarterly of any new homes that have been certified to earn the WaterSense label.
- Have at least one product certified to meet a WaterSense specification within one year of becoming a partner.
- Sell or plan to sell your WaterSense labeled product in the United States or Canada within one year of becoming a partner.
- Work with WaterSense licensed certifying bodies to notify EPA when new products earn the WaterSense label to ensure that the products appear on the list of WaterSense labeled products. This also includes products manufactured by the partner that are private labeled by another company.
- Submit annual data.
- Review partner eligibility requirements or join now by completing a Manufacturer Partnership Agreement online.
Professional Certifying Organizations
- Meet the requirements of the WaterSense Professional Certification Program Labeling System.
- Maintain at least one WaterSense labeled professional certification program.
- Promote the value of water efficiency and WaterSense.
- Inform certification candidates about WaterSense as an easy and desirable option for consumers to reduce water use and save money.
- Make WaterSense materials available to those professionals who earn a certification through a WaterSense labeled program.
- Review partner eligibility requirements or learn more about how to join.
- Encourage eligible constituents to participate in WaterSense.
- Promote WaterSense labeled products, new homes, and programs to consumers and other organizations.
- Provide a brief annual update about promotional activities involving water efficiency.
- Review partner eligibility requirements or join now by completing a Promotional Partnership Agreement online.
Retailers and Distributors
- Sell WaterSense labeled products in the United States or Canada within one year of becoming a partner.
- Partners must sell WaterSense labeled products without requiring installation or consulting services.
- Submit annual data.
- Review partner eligibility requirements or join now by completing a Retailers and Distributors Partnership Agreement online.