Technology Transfer Network
Emission Measurement Center
- Aug 2016 - Revisions to Test Methods and Testing Regulations; Final Rule, 8/30/2016 (PDF) (28pp, 993k)
- July 2016 - Partial Withdrawal notice for Direct Final for PS 18 and Procedure 6 (PDF) (5pp, 47k)
- May 2016 - Technical Amendments to Performance Specification 18 and Procedure 6
- April 2016 - Direct Final Withdrawal notice for Method 303 (PDF) (1pg, 182k) - Federal Register - April 20, 2016
- March 2016 - MTG and MPG Highlights - 2015/2016 (PDF) (10pp, 135k)
- February 2016 - Clarifying Requirements for Method 303 Certification Training, Published in the Federal Register February 25, 2016
- September 2015 - Notice Test Methods Revisions Public Hearing Notice
- April 2015 - MTG and MPG Highlights - 2014 (PDF) (11pp, 361k)
- November 2014 - Draft methods OTM33 “Geospatial Measurement of Air Pollution, Remote Emissions Quantification” and OTM 33A “Geospatial Measurement of Air Pollution, Remote Emissions Quantification - Direct Assessment (GMAP-REQ-DA)” with their appendices and supporting data are now available. It is posted on our Other Methods page. These methods are being posted in draft form for public use and evaluation. If any end users have data, comments or suggestions related to this method, please contact Eben Thoma, EPA ORD, firstname.lastname@example.org or Jason DeWees, EPA OAQPS, email@example.com.
- August 2014 - A new method, OTM-35, "Measurement of Particulate Matter and Other Heavy Metals from Electric Arc Welding Processes," is now available on our Other Methods page
- July 2014 - Appendix F, Procedure 3, for continuous opacity monitoring systems has been finalized. The files are also available on our Promulgated Performance Specifications page
- April 2014 - The approved alternative methods ALT-061 and ALT-087 have been withdrawn (The file is also available on the Alternative Methods page)
- Withdrawal document (PDF) (2pp, 111k
- April 2014 - EPA issued interim guidance (PDF) (6pp, 517k) for the treatment of condensible particulate matter test results in
the PSD and NSR permitting programs on April 8, 2014. The file is also available under the Method 202 FAQ and Documents page
- February 2014 - The final rule entitled “Revisions to Test Methods and Testing Regulations” was signed by the EPA Administrator on January 28, 2014.
- September 2013 - Updated Highlights of EPA Test Method Activities for 2013 (PDF) (11pp, 114k)
- June 2013 - Updated Chronology of EPA Emission Test Methods for 2013 (PDF) (9pp, 236k)
- March 2013 - The 2013 Measurement Technology Workshop was held on January 29-31, 2013, at the Environmental Protection Agency Main Campus in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
A Visible Emissions Webinar was offered on August 23, 2012, 1:00-2:30 EDT. This webinar was intended for State, local, and private Visible Emissions Certification Program (Smoke School) providers, as well as Federal, State, local, and tribal agencies who wanted to gain a better understanding of Method 9 certification (Method 9 is the Visual Determination of Opacity Emissions from Stationary Sources).
AGENDA FOR VISIBLE EMISSIONS WEBINAR
I. Overview of Visible Emissions Observer Certification – Liabilities & Responsibilities (Robin Segall – 25 mins.)
II. Discuss Questions (submitted prior to the webinar) on System Calibration Video Clip (Arthur Eberle – 30 mins.)
III. Alternatives to Incandescent Light Bulbs in Transmissometers (Erik Haas – 5 mins.)
IV. ASTM D7520-09 Standard Test Method to Determine the Opacity of a Plume in the Outdoor Ambient Atmosphere using a Digital Camera Technique (Jason Dewees – 30 mins.)
A. How ASTM D7520-09 Works
B. Update on Broadly Applicable Alternative Test Method (Alt-082)
|8/2/12|| Test Method 16C, for Total Reduced Sulfur (Real Time Data) was promulgated on July 30, 2012, and is available
The file is also available under Methods, then Promulgated Methods.
|5/17/12|| We have received a request for clarification of the broadly applicable alternative method approval ALT-082.
The revised and clarified approval letter can be found here.
The file is also available under Methods, then Category B Methods.
|4/12/12||Other Test Method 30 (OTM-30), "Method to Quantify Particulate Matter Emissions from Windblown Dust," is currently under further review.|
|3/14/12|| The proposed and direct final rules entitled "Quality Assurance Requirements for Continuous Opacity Monitoring Systems at Stationary Sources"
were published February 14th, 2012, and are available
here. When a direct final rule is published, it automatically becomes
final if the Agency does not receive adverse comments by the deadline for submitting comments.
The file is also available under Methods, then Proposed Methods.
|2/16/12|| The Test Methods Corrections Package was proposed January 9, 2012, and is available
The file is also available under Methods, then Proposed Methods.
|12/5/11|| The EPA Optical Remote Sensing Handbook, named
Guideline Document 52 (GD 52), is now available.
The file is also available under Instructional Materials, then Guideline Documents.
|6/21/11||On May 18, 2011, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued the final rule for Method 301, "Field Validation of Pollutant Measurement Methods from Various Waste Media", found here. We revised the procedures in Method 301 based on our experience in applying the method, and to correct errors that were brought to our attention. The final Method 301 is more flexible, less expensive, and easier to use.|
|3/29/11||An updated version of the Highlights of EPA Test Method Activities for 2011 highlights-2011.PDF is now available.|
|3/9/11||Method OTM-29, Sampling and Analysis for Hydrogen Cyanide Emissions From Stationary Sources, is now available by clicking on "Methods", then "Category C: Other Methods". For a direct link to OTM-29, click here. The previously named CTM-033 was revised and is now renumbered as OTM-29. The method was updated to address issues related to maintaining a pH of 12 and greater in the NaOH impingers during the test.|
|9/15/10||On September 13, 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued the final rule to restructure the stationary source audit program. To review the final rule and other related documents, click here.|
|6/16/09|| EPA has issued an information collection request (ICR) that will require some
companies to measure the emissions of hazardous air pollutants from their
boilers. Guideline Document 51 (GD 51) provides an overview of approved
methods, target pollutant units of measure, and reporting requirements for
the ICR. This document will be updated regularly to show approved changes
to the recommended methods and approved alternative methods. The guideline
document will also have a regularly updated list of FAQs about the testing
program, so check it frequently to get the latest information about the boiler ICR.
You can find the document under Instructional Materials, then Guideline Documents, or click here to go there immediately.
|6/11/09||An updated version of "Summary of EPA Test Methods" is now available here.|
|6/3/09||An updated version of the Highlights of EPA Test Method Activities for 2009 highlights-2009.PDF is now available.|
|04/28/09||EMC, in conjunction with Battelle, held a workshop, "Nanoparticle Air Monitoring," on March 2-3, 2009, to gather information on the different types of particles and monitoring techniques. The goal of the Workshop was to identify drivers and needs for monitoring nanoparticles in source and ambient air, and specific gaps and promising solutions in meeting those needs. Recognized experts shared their experience and understanding of the issues in the first sessions of the workshop. On the second day, group discussions were held to identify actions to fill knowledge and technology gaps. EPA and attending organizations are using the workshop outcomes to consider and plan their nanoparticles air monitoring efforts. The presentations are available at this link. To get to the presentations from our home page, click on Instructional Materials, then Worshops/Conferences/Meetings.|
|10/21/08||The Source Evaluation Society maintains a list of environmental testing
firms in the U.S. To access the list, go to the SES web site,
and look under General Information for a list of Stack Testing Companies.
|09/18/08||A useful policy memo on rounding and significant figures entitled, "Performance Test Calculation Guidelines," TID 024, is now available. The file is also available under Instructional Materials, then Information Documents.|