Listed below is a summary of changes and improvements included in the
STORET Software Upgrade version 1.2.1
ABNORMAL TERMINATION (New for v1.2.1)
The abnormal termination of the STORET batch update, due to
blank fields or lines in the input file has been eliminated.
Note that our sample batch run named "BATCH05" will no longer
run with this release, due to its use of a blank "Trap Net Comments"
INAPPROPRIATE ERROR MESSAGE (New for v1.2.1)
An error message incorrectly stating that the "Station Visit
Arrival Date is either blank or zero",
triggered by a blank comment text field in the
input file, has been updated to say "Text field value left blank".
INPUT STRING TRUNCATION (New for v1.2.1)
The maximum allowed length for input values of text strings
has been increased to match the length of the system field
to which it applies. For example, the "Person" transaction,
which had been truncating long names,
now accepts a full 40 character last name, and a 30 character
Characteristic Groups can now be created with more than 99
Characteristics. The "Cut/Copy/Paste After" functions will be disabled
after 99 Characteristics are chosen. However, selecting a
characteristic will no longer clear it from the selection
lists (i.e., screens P16, P16A, and P17) and you may select the
same characteristic as often as required.
Duplicate checking for characteristics has also been improved. In a
Characteristic Group, the Row ID can now be used to make the row
unique. In a Result, the Analytical Procedure can now be used to
make the row unique.
Prev/Next refers to the functionality associated with the buttons
to the right of a list box (i.e., double arrow head up, double
arrow head down). Essentially, Prev/Next allows the user the
ability to add, view, or change an unlimited number of records.
Prev/Next capabilities have been added to the following
- PJ1 - Project Maintenance List
(permits viewing an unlimited number of Projects)
- SV1 - Station Visit Maintenance List
(permits viewing an unlimited number of Stations)
- SV4 - Station Visit Station Selection List
(permits viewing an unlimited number of Station Visits)
- T1 - Field Trip Maintenance List
(permits viewing an unlimited number of Trips)
VIEW SIZE INCREASE
View Size is the number of rows that may be seen using the scroll
bar in a given screen. Limitations in view size prevent viewing or
editing entries in long lists. For example, the view size for Projects
was set to 100 rows in version 1.1, and while you could use the "ADD"
function to create over 100 rows, this limit prevented normal
maintenance of lists with more than 100 entries.
The number of rows has been globally
increased in all areas of the application. Although the change
is global, areas such as Personnel, Trips, Station Visits,
Characteristic Groups, and Projects were specifically considered.
The increase is cumulative with new or existing Prev/Next
capabilities. All screens have had the view size increased to
2000 rows with the following exceptions:
- View Size 10,000
- FA20 - Field Activity Personnel Assignment (top and bottom)
- O10 - Program Project Assignment
- O16 - Personnel Maintenance List
- O16 - Suspended Personnel List
- O20 - Personnel Role Maintenance List
- O21 - Personnel Role Assignment (bottom)
- OP3 - Operating Period Project Assignment
- PJ13 - Station Role on Project Maintenance List
- PJ15 - Project Personnel Maintenance List
- PJ16 - Project Personnel Assignment
- QC12 - QC Sample Person Assignment List
- QC13 - QC Sample Person Assignment (top)
- SA4 - Personnel Status Maintenance List
- T4 - Field Trip Project Assignment (top and bottom)
- T16 - Trip Activity Project Assignment (top and bottom)
- View Size 4,000
- P12 - Characteristic Group Maintenance List
- P14 - Characteristic Group Characteristic Maintenance List
- P15 - Characteristic Group Taxon Characteristic Maint List
- P30 - Field Procedure Maintenance List
- T5 - Field Trip Station Assignment (top)
- T15 - Trip Activity Project Assignment List
- View Size 1,000
- PI1 - Pipe Maintenance List
- WL1 - Well Maintenance List
- View Size 200
- OP6 - Operating Period Characteristic Maintenance List
- OP7 - Operating Period Result Data Entry (bottom)
- PJ20 - Project Data Summary List (top and bottom)
- T1 - Field Trip Maintenance List
- T17 - Trip Activity Summary List (top)
Miscellaneous system fixes not directed at view list sizes.
Up to 2000 Counties are now displayed for all States.
ACTIVITY DURATION AND UNITS
The Activity Duration and Units fields were being lost/deleted
when a user changed or added data to the Sample
Collection/Creation Procedures. This no longer occurs. The
affected windows are:
- FA2 - Sample Data Entry
- FA5 - Composite from Sample Data Entry
- FA22 - Sample from Sample Data Entry
Container Type pull down lists now show all available choices.
The STORET v1.2.1 software is intended only as an upgrade from the
STORET v1.2 Data Entry Application. You must be using STORET
v1.2 to perform this upgrade. If you are unsure about your
current version of STORET, check the version number that appears
on the M1 Main Menu upon opening STORET.
You are about to perform the steps outlined below:
- You will download the self-extracting zip file from the EPA
Internet Site to a location you will specify on your receiving
- You will run the self-extracting zip file to unzip the
upgraded software files, a setup.bat file to continue the
installation, and a readme.txt file that provides a summary of
the software changes in this upgrade with installation
instructions. Note that a new directory will be created named
fix006_nt which contains the unzipped files.
- You will run the setup.bat file to copy the upgraded
software files to the STORV10 directory. Existing files in the
STORV10 directory will be automatically overwritten with the
Note that copying the files manually will bypass
several system checks performed by setup.bat that help ensure a
successful installation. Otherwise, manually copying all but the
setup.bat and readme.txt files to the STORV10 directory will also
perform a successful installation. If manual copying is
preferred, perhaps due to using a central database network
configuration, then ensure the following checks are true.
- Has the self-extracting zip file been unzipped?
- Is STORET v1.2 the current version?
- Does the platform of Windows Windows NT ® match the
downloaded file type (i.e., fix006_nt)
from the Internet site?
- Is the STORET v1.2 Data Entry Application closed?
When downloading and unzipping the Windows NT ® version of
STORET v1.2.1 (i.e., fix006_nt), a total of 85 files will be
- 83 upgrade files will be copied to the STORET system STORV10 directory
- 1 setup.bat file
- 1 readme.txt file
During installation a log file (i.e., setup.log) will be created
that records the activities performed during execution of
setup.bat. The log file may be viewed at the end of the
installation, or if an error occurs during the installation.
- STORET v1.2
- Microsoft Windows NT ®
- Approximately 40 megabytes of free space are required to
complete the installation.
Most of this space may be reclaimed after installation.
- Start by insuring that the platform on which STORET is
currently installed is
Windows NT ® ).
- Begin downloading the STORET v1.2.1 Upgrade software by
clicking the icon associated with the STORET v1.2.1 Upgrade.
- Click the icon to download the STORET v1.2.1 Upgrade for
Windows NT ® ).
- Choose a destination for the self-extracting zip file where
temporary files should be kept and save the download by selecting the file
save options provided by your web browser.
- Once downloaded, run the self-extracting zip file. A choice
of directory location in which to unzip the files will be
provided. Note that a new sub-directory will automatically be
created in the chosen location named fix006_nt that
will contain the unzipped upgraded software, setup.bat, and
- Ensure that you do not have the STORET application open.
Having the Oracle database running will not affect this
- Determine the drive on which your current version of STORET
v1.2 is installed. If you are unsure about which drive contains
the STORET v1.2 software, search all your connected drives for
the STORV10 directory. Once found, identify the drive letter
that begins the path. The drive letter will be used in the setup
command in the next step.
- Run the setup.bat file by clicking Start on the Taskbar.
Click on Run. Click on Browse to locate the setup.bat file that
was unzipped from the self-extracting
fix006_nt.exe file. Setup.bat will be under the
Once you locate the "setup.bat" file, highlight it and
click on Open.
The path and the words "setup.bat" should appear in the Run window. In this
window, type a space followed by the drive letter you determined in
step 7 following the words "setup.bat".
The text in the window should look like one of the following examples:
If quotation marks are around your path and setup.bat file,
placement of the space and drive letter may be inside or outside
the quotation marks.
The setup.bat will copy the upgraded software files to the
STORET system STORV10 directory, then automatically delete the
upgraded software files from the fix006_nt
directory, leaving only the self-extracting zip, setup.bat, and
- setup.bat c
- setup.bat c:
- setup.bat c:\
- "g:setup.bat" c:
- "g:setup.bat c:"
Once you have determined that the installation
was successful, you may manually delete these three files and the
If it becomes necessary to uninstall this upgrade and revert
to STORET v1.2, you must return to the STORET Web Site and
download the uninstall package for fix006.