Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
California Water Quality Projects
|California Water Quality Projects Quick Finder|
The Clean Water Act authorizes one percent of the State Revolving Fund be set aside for use by states to study and assess water quality problems. The authority for this program is located in Section 205(j)(1) and (2) and in Section 604(b) of the statute, as amended in 1987. Implementing regulations are located at 40 CFR Part 35.350 - 35.365. Planning work related to point and nonpoint sources of pollution associated with either or both surface and ground water is eligible.
The statute requires that 40% of 205(j)(2) funds be passed from the state through to regional planning organizations such as cities, counties, special districts, etc. to:
- identify the most cost-effective and locally acceptable facilities and nonpoint source measures to meet and maintain water quality standards;
- develop implementation plans, to determine the nature, extent, and causes of water quality problems; and
- determine what types of publicly owned treatment facilities are needed and the best configuration given specific site conditions.
California has received funding for these purposes since 1982 and has used it to support many planning projects. The other states in Region 9 – Arizona, Hawaii and Nevada – also receive 205(j) funds, but in much smaller amounts. These states apply this funding to programmatic work, not just water planning projects.
The following links contain all the projects funded to date in California, arranged by region. Project abstracts, located on a Web site sponsored by the University of California at Davis, are linked where available.
|Phases||Periods||EPA Grant Funds|
Regions in California
- Region 1: North Coast
- Region 2: San Francisco Bay
- Region 3: Central Coast
- Region 4: Los Angeles
- Region 5: Central Valley
- Region 6: Lahontan
- Region 7: Colorado River Basin
- Region 8: Santa Ana
- Region 9: San Diego
Contacts, Abstracts, and Reports
Contains contact information, links to abstracts and reports, submitting comments and questions to EPA