Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Clean Diesel Technologies & Alternative Fuels
How Can Superfund Reduce Diesel Pollution?
RETROFIT engines with diesel emission control technologies
MAINTAIN in accordance with engine manual (i.e., change air filters, check engine timing, fuel injectors and pumps) and keep engines well tuned
REFUEL with biodiesel, other alternative fuels, or with cleaner fuels such as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)
MODIFY OPERATIONS by reducing operating and idle time
REPLACE existing engines with new cleaner diesel engines, hybrid engines, or engines compatible with alternative fuels.
- Carl Moyer Program (California only)
- National Clean Diesel Campaign (EPA)
- Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program (CMAQ)
Diesel Emissions Quantifier
The Diesel Emissions Quantifier (DEQ) is an interactive tool to help estimate emission reductions and cost-effectivenss of clean diesel projects. More information and access to EPA's DEQ
Why Use Clean Diesel Equipment?
- Exposure to diesel emissions such as particulate matter (PM) can have serious health effects, e.g. asthma attacks, heart attacks.
- Diesel exhaust is a “likely human carcinogen.”
- Exposure to diesel emissions is of concern for site workers and surrounding communities.
- Diesel engines emit hydrocarbons (HC) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) which contribute to smog, and carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas.
What Are Some Retrofit Options?
The most common options are Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOCs), both which fit on engines like mufflers.
|$7,000 - $10,000|
|$500 - $2,000|
What Are Some Alternative Fuel Options?
|Alternative Fuel||Reductions|| Cost/gal vs.
|B20 Biodiesel*||PM 10%
|20¢ less –
|Emulsified Fuel||PM 16-58%
|~ 20¢ more|
|Natural Gas||PM 99%
|*Blend of 20% biodiesel, 80% diesel. Further research is needed but some studies have shown slight increases in NOx emissions when burning biodiesel.|