Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Air Actions, Nevada
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
Grand Canyon Visibility Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
On June 17, 1999, EPA published an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) to provide information and request comment regarding the Mohave Generating Station's contribution to visibility impairment at Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP). The ANPR provided background information on Clean Air Act and EPA regulatory requirements for protecting visibility in national parks and wilderness areas, information on the visibility concerns associated with the Mohave Generating Station (MGS), and a brief summary of the methodologies and results of Project MOHAVE, the study which evaluated the impact of emissions from the MGS on visibility at GCNP. In the ANPR, EPA also asked the public to submit additional information that the Agency should consider before proceeding further to resolve DOI's concerns regarding the impact of sulfur dioxide emissions from MGS on visibility impairment at GCNP.
The Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is available below. The public comment period for the ANPR closed on November 15, 1999. EPA received comments from 83 entities. The comments that EPA received are contained in Docket Number A2-99-01 in the EPA Region 9 office.
- Federal Registry Notice: Proposed Rule* (Federal Register, June 17, 1999)
- First Extension of Public Comment Period* (Federal Register, August 6, 1999)
- Second Extension of Public Comment Period* (Federal Register, September 14, 1999)
- Third Extension of Public Comment Period* (Federal Register, October 1, 1999)
- Fourth Extension of Public Comment Period* (Federal Register, November 3, 1999)
- Fact Sheet
- Press Release
For More Information
Please contact Bruce Polkowsky of the National Park Service at (303) 987-6944.