W.C. Reed Playfields Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
312-353-2035 or 800-621-8431, ext. 32035
For technical questions:
EPA On-Scene Coordinator
(where to view written records)
Cleveland Public Library
3706 Pearl Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44109
The W.C. Reed Playfields is a 12-acre Cleveland city park located in a residential area at the intersection of West 15th Street and Denison Avenue.
In 1942 the City purchased the property from the Cleveland Railway Company for recreational purposes as a public park. The city closed the park in December 2012 after soil tests found high levels of petroleum-based chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or PAHs. PAHs are a group of chemicals that come from coal, crude oil or gasoline.
Cleveland officials contacted EPA for assistance in cleaning up the area and worked with EPA through the entire process.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The W.C. Reed Playfields park reopened to the public on the week of July 4, 2016 after EPA completed activities in the area. To protect human health and the environment EPA placed a protective two-foot clean soil barrier in the park and cleaned adjacent residential properties. The soil barrier placed in the park keeps people from coming into contact with pollutants and allows for safe recreational use. EPA’s cleanup activities included:
- Installing a 2-foot soil barrier on the Playfield.
- Installing vegetative cover on the Playfield.
- Sampling properties adjacent to the W.C. Reed Playfields and within the historic boundaries of the ravine.
- Removing PAH-contaminated soil from residential properties
- Restoring residential properties.
Additional information regarding cleanup activities performed at the site can be found in the Fact Sheets, Technical Documents and Legal Agreements on this website.
- Cleanup at Park and Neighborhood Could Be Completed by Spring (PDF) (2pp, 357K) December 2015
- Park Cleanup and Neighborhood Sampling Resumes this Spring (PDF) (4pp, 388K) February 2015
- EPA Responds to Questions About Summer Park Cleanup (PDF) (4 pp, 247 K) April 2014
- EPA Plans Cleanup Project at Popular Park (PDF) (2 pp, 120 K) August 2013
- Tree location map (PDF) (1 pg, 11' x 17", 437 K) March 2013
- Tree census information and map of the site (PDF) (7 pp, 833K) - from Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry
- Onsite PAH Soil Boring Location Map (PDF) (1 pg, 11" x 17", 460 K) March 19, 2014
- Soil Analysis from WC Reed Playfield (PDF) (4 pp, 81 K) Dec. 13, 2013
- Administrative Record
- EPA Action Memorandum - First Amendment (Redacted) (PDF) (46 pp, 9 MB) - September 17, 2014
- Action Memorandum: Request for a Time-Critical Removal Action (redacted) (PDF) (24 pp, 3.3 MB) July 2013