W.C. Reed Playfields Site
- Cleveland, OH (Cuyahoga County)
- EPA ID# OHN000510891
- CERCLIS listing
- Envirofacts listing
- Alias(es): N/A
Community Involvement Coordinator
312-353-2035 or 800-621-8431, ext. 32035
For technical questions:
EPA On-Scene Coordinator
(where to view written records)
Cleveland Public Library
3706 Pearl Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44109
W.C. Reed Playfields is a 12-acre Cleveland city park located in a residential area at the intersection of West 15th Street and Denison Avenue.
The city closed the park in December 2012 after soil tests found high levels of petroleum-based chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or PAHs. Sampling has shown that the contamination is located mainly within four feet of the surface soil.
Cleveland officials contacted EPA for assistance with the cleanup and have been working with EPA on a cleanup plan to address the contamination. After closing the park, the City erected a fence, but there are indications people still use the site.
Here’s what EPA has done so far:
• Sampled properties adjacent to the W.C. Reed Playfields and within the historic boundaries of the ravine.
• Removed PAH-contaminated soil from residential properties.
• Restored residential properties.
• Installed soil barrier on the Playfield.
• Installed vegetative cover on the Playfield.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA will return to the site this summer to complete final activities verifying vegetative cover is suitable, the storm water retention system is clean and functional, and the residential properties are properly restored. The W.C. Reed Playfields are temporarily closed to allow the vegetative cover to become fully established. The cover is a grass seed mixture used for restoration and erosion control. The final determination regarding fencing around the park will be made after final maintenance activities are completed.
- Cleanup at Park and Neighborhood Could Be Completed by Spring (PDF) (2pp, 357K) December 2015
- Park Cleanup and Neighborhood Sampling Resumes this Spring (PDF) (4pp, 388K) February 2015
- EPA Responds to Questions About Summer Park Cleanup (PDF) (4 pp, 247 K) April 2014
- EPA Plans Cleanup Project at Popular Park (PDF) (2 pp, 120 K) August 2013
- Tree location map (PDF) (1 pg, 11' x 17", 437 K) March 2013
- Tree census information and map of the site (PDF) (7 pp, 833K) - from Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry
- Onsite PAH Soil Boring Location Map (PDF) (1 pg, 11" x 17", 460 K) March 19, 2014
- Soil Analysis from WC Reed Playfield (PDF) (4 pp, 81 K) Dec. 13, 2013
- Action Memorandum: Request for a Time-Critical Removal Action (redacted) (PDF) (24 pp, 3.3 MB) July 2013