Jump to main content.


W.C. Reed Playfields Site

Site Information
Contact Information

Community Involvement Coordinator
Adrian Palomeque
(Palomeque.adrian@epa.gov)
 312-353-2035 or 800-621-8431, ext. 32035

For technical questions:
EPA On-Scene Coordinator
James Justice
(justice.james@epa.gov)
440-250-1744

Repositories

(where to view written records)

Cleveland Public Library
Brooklyn Branch
3706 Pearl Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44109

Background

The W.C. Reed Playfields is a 12-acre Cleveland city park located in a residential area at the intersection of West 15th Street and Denison Avenue.

In 1942 the City purchased the property from the Cleveland Railway Company for recreational purposes as a public park. The city closed the park in December 2012 after soil tests found high levels of petroleum-based chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or PAHs. PAHs are a group of chemicals that come from coal, crude oil or gasoline.

Cleveland officials contacted EPA for assistance in cleaning up the area and worked with EPA through the entire process.

Site Updates | Latest Update | Fact Sheets || Technical Documents || Legal Agreements


You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.

Site Updates

January 2017

The W.C. Reed Playfields park reopened to the public on the week of July 4, 2016 after EPA completed activities in the area. To protect human health and the environment EPA placed a protective two-foot clean soil barrier in the park and cleaned adjacent residential properties.  The soil barrier placed in the park keeps people from coming into contact with pollutants and allows for safe recreational use.   EPA’s  cleanup activities included:

Additional information regarding cleanup activities  performed at the site can be found in the Fact Sheets, Technical Documents and Legal Agreements on this website.

Top of page

Fact Sheets

Technical Documents

Legal Agreements

Top of page


Local Navigation


Jump to main content.