Northwestern Barrel Superfund Site
- South Milwaukee, WI (Milwaukee County)
- EPA ID# WID981095995
- CERCLIS listing
- Aliases: Marina Cliffs Barrel Dump, Northwestern Barrel
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Remedial Project Manager
Andy Boettcher (email@example.com), Hydrogeologist
WI Dept. of Natural Resources
Henry Nehls-Lowe (firstname.lastname@example.org), Epidemiologist
Dept. of Health & Family Svcs.
Jackie Ove (email@example.com
), Public health Administrator
South Milwaukee Health Dept.
(where to view written records)
South Milwaukee Public Library
1907 10th Avenue
South Milwaukee, WI 53172-2003
South Milwaukee is home to the Northwestern Barrel site, which is 13 acres of vacant land on the Lake Michigan shoreline. A barrel reconditioning facility operated on the property from the early 1940s until 1964. Residuals from the cleaning and refurbishing resulted in extensive contamination of the soil with a variety of compounds, including lead, volatile organic compounds (chemicals such as solvents) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). Ground water has been contaminated. The site is currently owned by Towne Realty. The site is surrounded on three sides by condominiums and apartment complexes, some of which were built on the former property. Extensive investigation and cleanup has taken place on residential properties.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Site Updates (view more)
EPA is working with the companies doing the cleanup to ensure that the required tasks are completed before we can deem the entire site clean. There are two cleanup areas in this site. One portion is the Marina Cliffs Condominium, the other is the vacant land east of the condos owned by Towne Realty.
The remaining actions on the condominium portion consist of:
- testing air inside the units to verify that the fans placed to vent any vapors are working properly
- making sure that an agreement is in place for future inspections and maintenance of the fans
- placing the site on the state of Wisconsinís Geographic Information System registry
The remaining actions on the vacant land consist of:
- closing any remaining on-site monitoring wells
- removing perimeter fencing
- placing the site on the state’s GIS registry
- signing EPA’s legal document.
Once these actions are completed the EPA can issue a Notice of Completion and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources can issue a No Further Action letter—thereby officially closing out the site. Site closure means that no further cleanup actions are needed. The companies responsible for the cleanup are BASF, S.C. Johnson & Sons, PPG, 3M, Daimler Chrysler, Mautz Paint, and General Motors.
- EPA picks cleanup plan for South Milwaukee site January 30, 2007
- EPA Proposes Final Cleanup Plan for Residential Area (PDF) (8pp, 876K) October 2006
- Soil Excavation to Begin in Residential Area, April 2004
- EPA Proposes Final Cleanup Plan (PDF) (6pp, 734K) February 2004
- Figure 1 - Preliminary Limits of Excavation (PDF) (1pg, 11"x17", 68K) January 2004
- Residential Area Sampling to Start--Comments Invited (PDF) (4pp, 186K) August 2002
- Residential Area Sampling Proposal Near Completion (PDF) (4pp, 4.2MB) April 2002
- Summary of Activities at Marina Cliffs Condominium Association (PDF) (12pp, 871K) March 2012
- U.S. EPA Answers to the Marina Cliffs Condominium Board Questions Related to the Cleanup and Close-out of the Marina Cliffs / Northwestern Barrel Superfund Site (PDF) (8pp, 909K) March 2012
- Enforcement Action Memorandum (PDF) (28pp, 1.3MB) January 2007
- Engineering Evaluation/ Cost Analysis response (PDF) (4pp, 131K)September 2006
- Engineering Evaluation/ Cost Analysis Report (PDF) (136pp, 374K) August 2006
- Action Memorandum (PDF) (9pp, 45K) May 2004
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Removal Action (PDF) (91pp, 5.45MB) November 2011
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (23pp, 92K) April 2004
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Removal Action (PDF) (86pp, 5.45MB) May 2002
- Unilateral Administrative Order (PDF) (44pp, 2.13MB) February 2001
- Unilateral Administrative Order (PDF) (45pp, 3.10MB) July 1998
- Unilateral Administrative Order (PDF) (54pp, 1.48MB) October 1995
- Transcript of public hearing in the matter of EPA Proposed Final Cleanup Plan (PDF) (39pp, 53K) November 2, 2006