- East Chicago, IN (Lake County)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
(where to view written records)
East Chicago Public Libraries
2401 E. Columbus Dr.
East Chicago, IN
Robert Patrick Branch
1008 W. Chicago Avenue
East Chicago, IN
EPA has recently completed a supplemental risk assessment that studied the effects of potential pollution from the proposed confined disposal facility at the Indiana Harbor in East Chicago, Indiana. The study evaluated the potential human health risks from exposure to the pollution.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The Indiana Harbor Ship Canal dredging project is off for the winter. The USACE will resume dredging the navigational channel in March of 2014. In the mean time, US EPA is negotiating an AOC with Atlantic Richfield Corporation to investigate oil releases to the Lake George Branch of the canal near the disposal facility. That investigation should start in the Spring.
Supplemental Risk Assessment of Potential Air Emissions from the Confined Disposal Facility for the Indiana Harbor and Shipping Canal Sediment Dredging and Disposal Project. (Note: The Supplemental Risk Assessment with all the attached appendices is available for free on CD. To order a copy, please contact Project Manager Laura Lodisio or Community Involvement Coordinator Yolanda Bouchee )
- Chapter 1 (PDF) (14pp, 165K)
- Chapter 2 (PDF) (3 pp, 429K)
- Chapter 3 (PDF) (17pp, 1.3MB)
- Chapter 4 (PDF) (20 pp, 1.4MB)
- Chapter 5 (PDF) (13pp, 554K)
- Chapter 6 (PDF) (95 pp, 1.0MB)
- Chapter 7 (PDF) (24pp, 156K)
- Chapter 8 (PDF) (10pp, 92K)
- Study: Health Risks Within EPA's Safety Levels Fact Sheet, December 2006 (PDF) (4pp, 56K)
- Estudio:Riesgos de salud dentro de los niveles seguros de la Agencia de Proteccion del Medio Ambiente (EPA), Diciembre 2006 (PDF) (4pp, 98K)
- Fact sheet insert: Simplified Diagram of SAR (Supplemental Risk Assessment Process), Site photo and diagram (PDF) (2pp, 917K)
- Diagrama Simplificado Del Proceso Suplemental Del Estudio De Riesgo De Salud (PDF) (1pg, 248K)
- Indiana Harbor: Puerto de Indiana y el canal (PDF) (1pg, 202K)
Open house and public meeting, Thursday, December 14, 2006
EPA hosted an open house and public meeting about the study on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2006. Members of the project team were available to answer individual questions. The meeting was to give the community an opportunity to hear more information about the study and ask questions.