Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume Site
- Hartford, IL (Madison County)
Kevin Turner (email@example.com)
Illinois EPA Community Relations Coordinator
Mara McGinnis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Illinois EPA Collinsville Regional Office, Manager
Chris Cahnovsky (email@example.com)
Illinois EPA Project Manager
Public Affairs Specialist
Rafael P. Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60269
(where to view written records)
Hartford Public Library
143 W. Hawthorne
Hartford, IL 62048
Monday-Thursday 12-6 pm
Friday-Saturday 12-4 pm
The Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume site is in the northern half of Hartford. U.S. EPA is investigating an area bounded by Olive Street to the east, Rand Avenue to the north, Old St. Louis Road to the west and Hawthorne Street to the south. In June 2003, U.S. EPA took over the site at Illinois EPA’s request. U.S. EPA oversees the investigation and cleanup of the village property, and the state agency oversees the adjacent oil refinery property.
The hydrocarbon contamination, which includes gasoline and diesel fuel, has been attributed to numerous releases over many years from adjacent oil refineries and pipelines. Once released, the contamination migrated down through the soil until it hit the groundwater. Due to the rise and fall of groundwater by several feet, the contamination has moved up and down. It is now trapped between soil and water deep below the surface. This makes cleanup very difficult; however, U.S. EPA continues to look for the best ways to finish the cleanup.
Beginning in 2005, the oil companies installed – in three phases – an extensive, village-wide system to extract vapor from the soil. It’s a network of 120 vapor-removal wells connected by pipes that take gasoline vapors from beneath the village to treatment units on the refinery property. This system protects residents by keeping vapors from entering their homes, and also removes much of the gasoline trapped in shallow soil. U.S. EPA is looking into expanding the system, which has already removed almost 1 million gallons of contamination.
Some liquid gasoline has been removed through skimming, which is simply removing gasoline from a well on a regular basis. Although this technique has been successful, it can only remove a small amount of liquid at a time, so it’s ineffective for cleaning up the entire plume.
U.S. EPA is trying to find the best way to remove the liquid gasoline that is trapped about 30 feet beneath the ground. One method being tested is to pump groundwater far enough down to allow the gasoline to flow into a collection well. This must be done when both the groundwater and Mississippi River are at low levels.
The Agency continues to direct the oil companies doing the cleanup, while working with the Village of Hartford and the community to ensure it’s done in a safe and effective way.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is overseeing several oil companies while they clean up gasoline pollution lying beneath the village of Hartford. The oil companies are both removing gasoline and studying the most effective ways of eliminating more. A vapor removal system was installed in the village for that purpose. The Hartford Working Group, or HWG, is the name of the three oil companies that installed the vapor system and currently runs it. In-home monitoring performed by a fourth oil company, Apex Oil, also verifies residents are safe from fumes. Apex is the company responsible for designing the final cleanup plan.
Fact Sheets and Community Involvement
- Hartford Village Cleanup: Work Transition Update(PDF)(2pp, 195K) April 2015
- Gasoline Cleanup Continues; Pump Test Enters Phase 2 (PDF) (2pp, 390K) September 2014
- Community Open House; Update on Gasoline Cleanup (PDF) (2pp, 235K) August 2014
- Fact Sheet: Test Will Help EPA Remove Gas From Beneath Village (PDF) (2pp, 250K) November 2013
- SVE System Up and Running; New Cleanup in Planning Stages (PDF) (6pp, 564K) November 2007
- Major Expansion of SVE System to Begin This Summer (PDF) (4pp, 1MB) August 2006
- EPA Recommends Protective Measures for Home Vapor Problems (PDF) (4pp, 372K) October 2004
- Response to comments for the Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume site (PDF) (10pp, 77K) June 2004
- Companies Agree to Address Vapors and Contamination (PDF) (6pp, 722K) March 2004
- Petroleum Vapor Problems in Northeast Hartford Basements, Illinois EPA Fact sheet, June 2003
Soil Vapor Extraction System (SVE)
- SVE OMM Comments Sept 4, 2015 (PDF)(12pp, 169KB)
- Final SVE OMM Plan Sept 4, 2015 (PDF)(70pp, 11MB)
- SVE System Optimization Work Plan Phase 1 (PDF)(30pp, 181KB) July 2014 (Note: document figures, tables, or appendices are available upon request)
- SVE Optimization Zone 1 Summary Report (PDF) (122pp, 4.9MB)
- LNAPL Recovery Pilot Test Work Plan (PDF)(84pp, 2MB) July 2013
- Additional LNAPL Pilot Test (PDF) (87pp, 502K) August 2014
- LNAPL Conceptual Site Model (PDF) (240pp, 15MB) May 2014
LNAPL: Free Product Gasoline
Dissolved Phase: Groundwater
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report (PDF) (17pp, 378KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 2 (PDF) (14pp, 402KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 3 (PDF) (19pp, 426KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 4 (PDF) (20pp, 477KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 5 (PDF) (22pp, 449KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 6 (PDF) (22pp, 466KB)
- 2014 DP Investigation Data Report 7 (PDF) (19pp, 378KB)
- 2013 DP Investigation Data Report (PDF) (34pp, 543KB)
- 2013 DP Inv Data Report II (PDF) (20pp, 348KB)
- Dissolved Phase Investigation Work Plan (PDF)(149pp, 4.8MB)August 2013
- Interim in-home monitoring plan (PDF) (13 pp, 1.1 MB) March 2014
- Effectiveness monitoring plan (PDF) (543pp, 8.8 MB) September 2013
- Apex Order (PDF) (3pp, 41K) July 2008
- Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (33pp, 96K) March 2004
- Progress Report 2nd Quarter 2015 (PDF) (5pp, 159K) July 2015
- Progress Report 1st Quarter 2015 (PDF) (7pp, 129K)
- Progress Report 1st Quarter 2014 (PDF) (4pp, 119K)
- Progress Report 2nd Quarter 2014 (PDF)(5pp, 75K)
- Progress Report 3rd Quarter 2014 (PDF) (4pp, 69K)
- Progress Report 4th Quarter 2014 (PDF)(6pp, 127K)
- EPA held an open house on gasoline cleanup Aug. 12, 2014.
- EPA held an open house and public meeting on March 25, 2004
- EPA accepted comments on the Administrative Order on Consent through April 7, 2004.
Soil Vapor Extraction System Hartford Pereleum Release Site (PDF)(1pp, 1.5MB) September 2014 Partial Focused Pumping Test - Hartford Pereleum Release Site (PDF) (1pp, 797K) September 2014