Veolia ES Technical Solutions LLC. Air Permitting Actions
Air Permit Renewal
Veolia ES Technical Solutions
(St. Clair County)
Veolia ES Technical Solutions LLC. (Veolia) has submitted to U.S. EPA an application to renew its Clean Air Act Title V operating permit. EPA issued Veolia’s initial permit on Sept. 12, 2008. Veolia, which is located at 7 Mobile Avenue in Sauget, Illinois, stores and burns hazardous waste. EPA deemed Veolia’s application complete on September 11, 2013.
EPA is proposing to approve Veolia’s application. EPA issued a draft renewal operating permit (draft permit) for public comment.
The draft permit does not change most requirements in the 2008 permit. However, EPA is adding limits on how much arsenic, lead, mercury and other metals Veolia can put into its incinerators – known as the “feedrate limits” – as well as additional monitoring requirements to ensure that Veolia complies with its emissions limits.
EPA accepted written comments on the draft permit until Dec. 19, 2014. EPA held a public hearing on the draft permit on Dec. 3, 2014.
Permit Renewal Documents
- Air Pollution Control Tittle V Permit to Operate - Draft Permit (PDF) (172pp, 1MB) Oct 2014
- Statement of Basis (PDF)(79pp, 1.3MB) Oct 2014
- Air Permit Renewal Planned for Hazardous Waste Incinerator - Fact Sheet (PDF) (4pp, 259KB) Oct 2014
- Public Notice (PDF) (3pp, 101KB) Oct 2014
Additional Permit Renewal Documents
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Email Change in VOM Calculation Methodology for Material Processing Areas (PDF) (2 pp, 86K) April 3, 2014
- Certification for revisions to the August 2013 Addendum to Veolia Title V Application for Renewal (PDF) (17 pp, 8 MB) March 31, 2014
- Email Clarifications Addendum (PDF) (2 pp, 69 K) Nov. 20, 2013
- Forms Appendix A (PDF) (109 pp, 2.2 MB) Oct 2013
- Title V Renewal Completeness Determination (PDF) (2 pp, 68 K) Sep 2013
- Nonapplicable Regulations Appendix B (PDF) (14 pp, 812 K) Sep 2013
- Addendum to Application for Renewal of Major Source Operating Permit (PDF) (88 pp, 2.8 MB) Aug 2013
- Application for Renewal of Major Source Operating Permit (PDF) (114 pp, 2.7 MB) April 2013
- GHG Emissions (PDF) (1 pp, 66K) Dec 2010
- Most Recent Notification of Compliance (NOC) Appendix E (PDF) (209 pp, 6.6 MB) Oct 2008
- Startup, Shutdown, and Malfunction Plan Appendix G (PDF) (63 pp, 1.2 MB) Oct 2008
- Title V Items to be Removed Appendix K (PDF) (15 pp, 686 K) Oct 2008
- Feedstream Analysis Plan Appendix J (PDF) (10 pp, 229 K) Oct 2008
- Emergency Safety Vent Operating Plan Appendix I (PDF) (17 pp, 229 K) Oct 2008
- Automatic Waste Feed Cutoff Plan Appendix H (PDF) (16 pp, 388 K) Oct 2008
- Continuous Emissions Monitoring System Quality Assurance Plan Appendix D (PDF) (60 pp, 1.2 MB) Oct 2008
- Addendum to Veolia Renewal Application Appendix C Figures (PDF) (14 pp, 438 K) April 2007
- Construction Permits Appendix F (PDF) (27 pp, 1.1 MB) Feb 2001
- Waste Analysis Plan for Trade Waste Incineration (PDF) (82 pp, 3.8 MB) Sept 1994
Comprehensive Performance Tests Reports
- Notification of Compliance (PDF) (49 pp, 1.2 MB )Jan 2014
- Comprehensive Performance Test Report (PDF) (128 pp, 3 MB) Jan 2014
- Appendix I Sampling Equipment/Instrumentation Calibration Documentation (PDF) (54 pp, 3.8 MB) Jan 2014
- Appendix H Data Quality Assessments (PDF) (77 pp, 1.1 MB) Jan 2014
- Appendix B Spiking Report (PDF) (160 pp, 13.7 MB) Jan 2014
- Appendix C Process Operating Data (PDF) (445 pp, 2.3 MB) Oct 2013
- Appendix G Analytical Data Reports (PDF) (14,850 pp, 359.6 MB) Oct 2013 Due to its size, this PDF will be available directly from Andrea Morgan and not available for download from this web site.
- Appendix F Sampling Documentation (PDF) (1,619 pp, 22.3 MB) Oct 2013
- Appendix E Chains-of-Custody/Field Logbook (PDF) (448 pp, 49.5 MB) Oct 2013 Due to its size, this PDF will be available directly from Andrea Morgan and not available for download from this web site.
- Appendix D Continuous Monitoring System Performance Evaluation Test Report (PDF) (100 pp, 4.8 MB) Oct 2013
- Appendix A CEMS RATA report (PDF) (445 pp, 4.8 MB) Sept 2013
Proposed January 2013 Air Permit Reopening
In January 2013 EPA proposed to reopen a Clean Air Act permit for a hazardous waste combusting facility in southern Illinois. U.S. EPA proposed this permit action for Veolia ES Technical Solutions LLC., 7 Mobile Ave., Sauget, Ill., near St. Louis, to modify its Clean Air Act Title V operating permit. The revised permit included “feedrate” limits for certain heavy metals. Feedrate limits are the maximum amount of heavy metals Veolia can feed into the incinerator combustion unit per hour. The heavy metals include mercury, arsenic and lead. The proposed permit also included additional requirements for monitoring the waste incinerated by Veolia at the facility.
U.S. EPA based the proposed feedrate limits, which comply with applicable regulations, on available performance test data. Veolia will continue operating the combustors following the requirements of their current permit until a final revised permit is issued. EPA held a public hearing on February 19, 2013 and accepted comments on the proposed permit reopening until April 1, 2013.
After taking comment on the draft reopening of Veolia’s permit, because of the timing of EPA’s proposal in relationship to the expiration of Veolia’s existing permit and the regulatory requirement for Veolia to perform compliance testing, EPA decided instead to incorporate revisions into Veolia’s permit at renewal.
Permit Reopening Documents
- Public Notice Extention (PDF) (1p, 44K)
- Fact Sheet: U.S. EPA Proposes to Reopen Title V Air Permit (PDF) (3pp, 336K)
- Notice of Proposed Modification of Veolia's Title V Permit (PDF) (3pp, 103K)
- Statement of Basis, Air Pollution Control, Title V Permit to Operate (PDF)(28pp, 807K)
- Draft Significant Modification (PDF) (134pp, 957K)