Remediation General Permit (RGP) for MA & NH
The Final National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit for Remediation Activity Discharges – the Remediation General Permit (RGP) in Massachusetts (MAG910000) and New Hampshire (NHG910000) was signed on March 9, 2017. The RGP is effective 30 days after the date of signature, on April 8, 2017. The final RGP replaces the RGP that expired on September 9, 2015. The 120-day period for seeking judicial review will begin at 1:00 pm Eastern Standard Time on March 23, 2017, in accordance with 40 C.F.R. Part 23. Under section 509(b) of the Clean Water Act, judicial review of this general permit can be requested by filing a petition for review in a United States Court of Appeals by July 21, 2017.
The RGP is available for sites located in Massachusetts and New Hampshire which discharge 1.0 million gallons per day or less as a result of remediation activities from eight general categories: 1) Petroleum-related site remediation; 2) Non-petroleum-related site remediation; 3) Contaminated/formerly contaminated site dewatering; 4) Pipeline and tank dewatering; 5) Aquifer pump testing; 6) Well development/rehabilitation; 7) Collection structure dewatering/remediation; and 8) Dredge-related dewatering.
Operators seeking authorization to discharge must submit a complete and accurate Notice of Intent (NOI) in accordance with Appendix IV – Part 1 as follows:
- Operators of existing discharges must submit a NOI no later than ninety (90) days after the effective date of this general permit.
- Operators of emergency discharges must submit a NOI no later than fourteen (14) days after the discharges commence.
- Operators of new discharges must submit a NOI at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of discharges.
An operator will be authorized to discharge under the RGP upon the effective date indicated in the authorization to discharge provided by EPA in writing, unless provisional coverage for an emergency discharge applies.
The RGP is available through the links below. Additional resources, including suggested formats for electronic submittals, are also provided.
Information Sessions & Trainings
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Pre-Publication Federal Register Notice (PDF) (5 pp, 708 K)
- Remediation General Permit (PDF) (53 pp, 942 K)
- Appendix I: Endangered Species Act Guidance and Eligibility Criteria (PDF) (11 pp, 332 K)
- Appendix II: Summary of Endangered Species Act Listings and Essential Fish Habitat Designations (PDF) (7 pp, 280 K)
- Appendix III: National Historic Preservation Act Review and Requirements (PDF) (4 pp, 104 K)
- Appendix IV:
- Part 1 - Notice of Intent (NOI) Instructions (PDF) (13 pp, 208 K)
and Suggested Format (PDF) (11 pp, 195 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (PDF) (11 pp, 987 K)
- Part 2 - Notice of Change (NOC) Instructions (PDF) (5 pp, 157 K)
and Suggested Format (PDF) (3 pp, 96 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (PDF) (3 pp, 607 K)
- Part 3 - Notice of Termination (NOT) Instructions (PDF) (2 pp, 139 K)
and Suggested Format (PDF) (2 pp, 86 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (PDF) (2 pp, 597 K)
- Appendix V: Dilution Factor and Effluent Limitation Calculations for Massachusetts (PDF) (4 pp, 179 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (XLSX) (53 K)
- Appendix VI: Dilution Factor and Effluent Limitation Calculations for New Hampshire (PDF) (4 pp, 184 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (XLSX) (53 K)
- Appendix VII: Test Methods and Minimum Levels (PDF) (7 pp, 146 K)
Additional Resource: Selecting Sufficiently Sensitive Test Methods for RGP NOI Sampling Requirements (PDF) (4 pp, 69 K)
- Appendix VIII: Discharge Monitoring Data Instructions (PDF) (2 pp, 87 K)
and Suggested Format (PDF) (1 pg, 95 K)
Additional Resource: Fillable Electronic Format (XLSX) (146 K)
- Appendix IX: Standard Conditions and Definitions (PDF) (17 pp, 227 K)
- Attachment A: Whole Effluent Toxicity Test Procedure and Protocol for Freshwater (PDF) (2 pp, 55 K) and Marine (PDF) (2 pp, 55 K) Discharges
- Remediation General Permit Fact Sheet (PDF) (145 pp, 1.1 MB)
- Response to Public Comments to (PDF) (25 pp, 301 K)
Helpful Information and Links
- Endangered Species Exit
- National Register of Historic Places Exit
- Massachusetts Water Quality Standards Exit
- New Hampshire Water Quality Regulations Exit
- NetDMR in New England
- EPA Region 1 Dewatering General Permit
- Construction Activity General Permits Flow Chart (PDF) (2 pp, 55 K)
- Frequently Asked Questions for the RGP (available soon)
Technical Questions: Shauna Little (email@example.com); telephone: 617-918-1989; Mail Code: OEP06-1
NOI Processing: Shelley Puleo (firstname.lastname@example.org); telephone: 617-918-1545; Mail Code: OEP06-1
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
Cathy Vakalopoulos (Catherine.Vakalopoulos@state.ma.us); telephone: 617-348-4026
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services
Jeff Andrews (Jeffrey.Andrews@des.nh.gov); telephone: 603-271-2984
Notices of Intent (NOI) will be posted on this page for a minimum of seven (7) days after EPA receives them. Please contact Shelly Puleo (email@example.com or 617-918-1545) if you have any questions regarding NOIs. A chronological listing of recent NOIs appear in the table below. Older NOIs are listed in the Remediation General Permit (RGP) NOI archive. EPA will also post Notices of Termination (NOT), and Notices of Change (NOC), if received.
|Site Name||City / State (Receiving Water)||Permit Number||NOI(s)||Authorization(s)||NOC(s)||NOT(s)|
|Colbea Shell Gasoline Station||Ashland, MA (Cold Spring Brook)||MAG910706||05/23/2017 (PDF) (143 pp, 18.1 MB)|
|Lowell House Renovation Project||Cambridge, MA (Charles River)||MAG910705||05/23/2017 (PDF) (560 pp, 32.6 MB)|
|Salem Harbor Energy Project||Salem, MA (Salem Harbor)||MAG910704||05/23/2017 (PDF) (74 pp, 6.2 MB)|
|Sargent Residence||Northborough, MA (Unnamed tributary to Hop Brook)||MAG910703||05/09/2017 (PDF) (97 pp, 3.4 MB)|
|Coppersmith Village Development Project||Boston, MA (Boston Harbor)||MAG910702||05/09/2017 (PDF) (108 pp, 4 MB)|
|Parcel N - Boston Marine Industrial Park (BMIP)||Boston, MA (Boston Harbor)||MAG910701||05/02/2017 (PDF) (285 pp, 12 MB)||05/18/2017 (PDF) (4 pp, 321 K)|
|Hopkinton Gas||Hopkinton, MA (Unnamed tributary to Indian Brook)||MAG910700||04/13/2017 (PDF) (139 pp, 6.6 MB)||04/27/2017 (PDF) (4 pp, 192 K)|
|Rennie Farm||Hanover, NH (Unnamed tributary to Hewes Brook)||NHG910071||04/11/2017 (PDF) (465 pp, 49.8 MB)
04/11/2017 (PDF) (465 pp, 48.8 MB)
|04/19/2017 (PDF) (4 pp, 266 K)
04/19/2017 (PDF) (4 pp, 268 K)
|Kendall Square Initiative – South of Main (SOMA)||Cambridge, MA (Charles River)||MAG910699||04/10/2017 (PDF) (534 pp, 11.9 MB)||04/17/2017 (PDF) (4 pp, 162 K)|
In accordance with 40 C.F.R. Part 122.63, EPA is providing notice that the minor modifications listed below have been processed for this general permit.
Correct typographical errors per 40 C.F.R. Part 122.63(a)
March 28, 2017: Appendix I
In the instructions in Section II, Step 3 (FWS Criterion C), found on page 5 of 10, the term "both" was corrected to "either" and the term "either" was corrected to "both". In the instructions in Section II, Step 4, found on page 6 of 10, the documentation for FWS Criterion C was corrected to reflect the correction made in Section II, Step 3. The cross-references to the criteria in Sections II and III, found on page 3 of 10, were corrected for numbering.
April 19, 2017: General Permit
In footnote 7 to Table 2, found on page 12 of 50, the units "µg/L" were corrected to the units "mg/L" for the minimum level requirement for the parameter ammonia. This correction was not made in Appendix VII or Attachment A because the units for the minimum level requirement for the parameter ammonia, mg/L, are correct in both Appendix VII and Attachment A.