The "Green Team"
Promoting Green Construction & Operations
The environmental impacts of major development projects – office buildings, shopping malls, sports stadiums, college campuses, and the like -- don’t end with construction. From design and construction to operation and maintenance and all the way through to demolition, man-made structures can use tremendous amounts of energy and natural resources, while generating large quantities of waste. Buildings, through the sheer amount of power they use, are responsible for some 40 percent of the nation’s energy consumption and 40 percent of its carbon dioxide emissions. For these reasons, EPA Region 2 works in partnership with public, private and government organizations to reduce the environmental impacts of their buildings and operations, which in turn, reduce construction, operation and maintenance costs.
The EPA Region 2 Green MOU Program helps building developers and facility managers incorporate more sustainable construction, operation and maintenance practices through voluntary agreements called memorandums of understanding (MOU’s).
The Green MOUs are tailored to each partner and incorporate technologies and practices that directly help partners to:
- Improve energy and water efficiency
- Utilize renewable energy
- Reduce waste generation and increase recycling, including food waste composting
- Increase reuse and recycling of construction and other materials
- Incorporate Green Procurement throughout the entire organization
- Incorporate Green Infrastructure techniques to reduce and re-use stormwater runoff
- Save Money
Read about the EPA Partnership Programs for the Green Team.
As of November 1, 2013, 24 Green MOU Partners joined EPA in “Going Green” in a real and measurable manner. Seven sectors are represented: retail, professional sports teams, higher education, real estate/property management, federal, insurance/financial and health care/hospitals. View Press Releases, MOU's, and Latest Environmental Assessments.
A few of the many achievements of the Green MOU program are:
- Over 8,500 buildings are being constructed/operated in a green and sustainable manner by our 24 Green MOU Partners.
- The Green MOU Program has measured greenhouse gas reductions that add up to a huge environmental impact of 1.5 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalents (MTCO2e).
- This amount of carbon footprint reduction equates to the carbon dioxide emissions from burning 6,300 railcars worth of coal or a coal train stretching approximately 96 miles long!
- Our Green MOU partners have also proven that "Going Green saves Green" by reducing costs by over $142 million dollars.
- EPA has provided individualized Environmental Assessment Reports that quantify the environmental benefits and the climate profile of each partner.
- EPA calculates GHG and Carbon Footprint Reductions and translates these into Real-Life Equivalents (i.e. 1,000 barrels of oil conserved).
- The Green MOU provides a complete compendium of an organization's Green and Sustainable Activities and Accomplishments.
- The Green MOU and EPA Environmental Assessment Reports are valuable tools for communicating environmental benefits to management, employees, customers, the public and other stakeholders.