New Jersey: Revisions to the Enhanced Inspection and Maintenance Program
Federal Register Dates:
December 15, 2003 Proposal 68 FR 69637
May 21, 2004 Final Rule 69 FR 29234
EPA Approval Date:
EPA's approval of Revisions to the Enhanced Inspection and Maintenance Program were effective on June 21, 2004.
On August 13, 2003 the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) submitted to EPA a SIP revision which incorporates revisions to the enhanced inspection and maintenance (I/M) program and included revisions to several regulations (see below) with a State effective date of May 19, 2003.
Revises the State's Enhanced Inspection and Maintenance program to comply with EPA regulations, to improve performance of the program, and to include the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) program.
New Regulations Included As Part of the SIP:
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 7, Vehicle Inspections (Section: 7.1);
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 26, Compliance With Diesel Emission Standards and Equipment, Periodic Inspection Program for Diesel Emissions, and Self-Inspection of Certain Classes of Motor Vehicles (Sections: 26.2, 26.16);
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 28, Inspection of New Motor Vehicles (Section 28.3);
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 29, Mobile Inspection Unit (Section: 29.2);
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 32, Inspection Standards and Test Procedures To Be Used By Official Inspection Facilities;
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 33, Inspection Standards and Test Procedures To Be Used By Licensed Private Inspection Facilities;
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 43, Enhanced Motor Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program;
- NJAC 13:20, Subchapter 45, Motor Vehicle Emission Repair Facility Registration, effective May 19, 2003.
EPA Region 2 Contact:
Reema Persaud (212) 637-3760