South Charleston WV
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. William Wentworth 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
West Virginia Division of Environmental Protection
Mr. H.M. Dorsey
1356 Hansford Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: Phone: (304) 558-8939
- The FMC Corporation has completed the environmental investigation of its Spring Hill Plant located in South Charleston, WV.under the RCRA Section 3013 Administrative Consent Order to conduct a RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) to:
- 1. Determine if a release(s) of hazardous wastes and/or hazardous constituents has occurred from the two waste management areas, the flyash basin and a former landfill area; and
2. Determine the nature and the extent of the release(s).
- Located in Kanawha Valley, WV, FMC manufactured various organic and inorganic chemicals including hydrogen peroxide. Metals and organics were detected in the RCRA regulated surface impoundment which historically received corrosive hazardous waste. These waste streams were eliminated in 1986 and the unit was closed as a regulated unit in 1987, with approval of the State of West Virginia. An old industrial landfill was adjacent to the impoundment. The facility has eceived closure of the RCRA solid waste management unit.
- EPA presented its preliminary decision that no further corrective action was required at the facility and published a notice to accept public comments on its proposal. The certification of closure for the surface impoundment, the environmental investigation, and related documents have been made available to the public in a local library. EPA made available the Facility Determination and entertained public comments on the EPA decision, however, there was no community response in the process
- Four hazardous constituents were found in groundwater samples at low concentrations but below Clean Water Act Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs).
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6pp, 23 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 8pp, 26 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
West Viriginia Dept of Enviromental Protection
Division of Waste Management
1356 Hansford Street
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 558-8939
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|FMC - So. Charleston|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is in continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. William Wentworth (215) 814-3184.