Union Carbide Corp. – Private Trucking Operations
Subsidiary of Dow Chemical Company
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Erich Weissbart 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
West Virginia Dept of Environmental Protection
Tracy A. Jeffries
Environmental Resources Specialist
Division of Land Restoration
Office of Environmental Remediation
601 57th Street, Room 1072
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: 304-926-0499 X 1262
- Sitewide interim measures were evaluated in 2008 and additional data were collected to support interim measures evaluation, design, and implementation. Beginning in August 2008, an interim measure was conducted near SWMU 5 to address soil contamination. In December 2008, a design was prepared for an interim measure in the Ryan's Branch area. The design was finalized in 2009. Permits and approvals for construction of the interim measure were obtained from local, state, and federal agencies and stakeholders. Implementation of the interim measure was conducted from September 2009 to April 2010. In March 2010, planning was initiated for pre-design activities for SWMU 3 in concert with evaluation of possible interim measures for groundwater.
- In 2012 SWMU 1 was evaluated for a remedy consisting of protective cover and groundwater monitoring. Geotechnical borings were installed and finally the cover of SWMU 1 was enhanced to limit infiltration and prevent exposure. In late 2011 and early 2012, interim measures for SWMU 3 were evaluated and pre-design activities conducted. In September 2012, the evaluation of SWMU 3 was completed and an interim remedy proposed consisting of cover enhancement and groundwater performance monitoring.
- In 2012, an evaluation was conducted at the Proposed Reuse Area that included historical surface soil data and additional surface soil data collected. The purpose was to evaluate potential risks associated with a commercial/industrial worker exposed to surface soils throughout the site. Implementation of the interim measure was conducted from October 2012 to December 2012. In addition, additional surface soil sampling was completed across the site to support updates to the human health risk assessment. In September 2013, a design was prepared for an interim measure for the Central Waste-In-Place Area. Implementation of the interim measure was conducted from October 2013 to December 2013.
- A RCRA Corrective Action final decision with Institutional and Engineering controls was issued on September 7, 2016. Insitutional /Engineering controls restrict land use to non-residential, restrict groundwater use, include groundwater monitoring and a soil management plan.
- UCC's PTO Facility was used for cleaning tank trucks from 1975 to 1985. Prior to that operation, the facility was used for the disposal of various wastes from West Virginia UCC operations. The RFI Workplan described thirteen (13) Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) within the approximately forty (40) acre site.s.
- Based on available information there are no known imminent threats to human health or the environment at the PTO Facility. The main contaminants of concern are poly-chlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), naphthalene, bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate, carbon tetrachloride, benzene and trichloroethene. .
- Additional interim measures were performed in 2002 in order to meet the Environmental Indicator (EI) for Human Health. Additional fencing was installed around the facility in order to keep trespassers off the property. This was the final action necessary at the facility to meet the Human Health EI, which was recorded on September 19, 2002. In 2005, additional interim measures were conducted to stabilize an area of the site where subsidence was occurring and to prevent migration of contaminants into Ryan's Branch. In August 2005, UCC submitted the Groundwater (EI) to USEPA in and it was approved by USEPA in September 2005. n
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision [PDF, 15 pp, 6 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7pp, 52 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 9pp, 50 KB, About PDF]DF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
West Viriginia Dept of Enviromental Protection
Division of Waste Management
601 57th Street, SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0499
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Union Carbide Nitro SiteMap|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo/site map)
- Portions of the facility may be redeveloped for nonresidential use consistent with an industrial/commercial setting and with appropriate use restrictions and engineering controls in place.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Erich Weissbart (410) 305-2779.