On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Sharon D. Kenny
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC40
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
VADEQ Brownfields Program
P.O. Box 10009
Richmond, VA 23240-0009
- Radford Trading LLC purchased Grede Holdings - Radford Foundry in October 2015. EPA looks forward to working with the new owners to address the corrective action needed at this property.
- In 2000, EPA and the VADEQ completed a site visit of the facility to review the status of one of the EPA Region III's high priority RCRA corrective action sites. The review of background data indicated that there has been a release of hazardous contaminants on site and that there is insufficient data to determine the extent of such release.
- On 2002, EPA and Intermet entered into an RCRA Administrative Order on Consent to conduct an environmental investigation and clean up measures as necessary to protect human health and the environment. The adjacent facility, currently known as Virginia Casting Industries (VCI) - Radford Foundry (VAD010063006) is included in the order due to the common ownership at the time.
- In 2004, the facility completed the implementation of the Phase I RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) Work Plan for the environmental investigation of the site wide groundwater and soils at high priority areas. The report recommended a Phase 2 investigation to investigate the rest of the site.
- Intermet filed for bankruptcy in September 2004 and the submittal of the Phase II work plan was put on hold.
- A Closure Report for SWMU 52 was received in November 2005.
- In 2009, Virginia Casting Industries (VCI) became the new owner of the site.
- In March 2012, VCI sold the property to Grede Holdings.
- In 2012, the EPA Brownfields Program completed an ASTM Phase II site assessment. The EPA met with Grede officials later that year to discuss the Phase II report.
- In 2013, the EPA approved Grede’s “Proposed RCRA Corrective Action Approach and Preliminary Schedule”
- The Pipe Foundry was built in the 1890s and manufactured cast iron pipe. The facility operated continuously from 1906 until 1980. Most of the buildings associated with the Pipe Foundry were demolished in 1987 and 1988. This facility was located to the northeast of the Grede Holdings – Radford Foundry. Little information is available about the process, waste generation, and waste handling at this facility.
- Between 1896 and 1977, the Special Foundry was built and in operation. Large casting such as chemical vats, engine blocks, and ship components were manufactured by pouring molten metal directly into the ground. The building was dismantled and demolished in 1987. The approximate location of the foundry was halfway between the Grede Holdings – Radford Foundry and the VCI - Radford Foundry. Similar to the Pipe Foundry, little information is available about the process, waste generation, and waste handling at this facility.
- The Radford Foundry operated from 1966 until 2003 and produced automotive parts using the mold-casting production method. This process involved melting of scrap metal, coke, limestone, and various additives in a cupola at approximately 1537 °C. The molten iron was poured into molds of sand and binding resins, after which the mold was removed and the product finished. Structures associated with the Radford foundry were demolished in 2011.
- The Intermet – New River Foundry became operational in 1977 and produced medium-sized iron parts for automobiles, farm equipment, and construction equipment. This facility initially used molten metal provided by the Pipe Foundry, but later used electric induction furnaces. The facility was largely rebuilt after a March 2000 explosion. The facility was heavily automated and featured two separate production lines. Castings were formed in green sand molds with phenolic urethane cores. Operations ceased December 2009 after the bankruptcy of Intermet.
- Grede Holdings - Radford Foundry closed operations in December 2013.
The Grede Holdings - Radford Foundry property was developed in the 1890s for use by an iron foundry. Foundry operations have been present at the property since that time. Four foundries have historically been operated on the property, starting on 1896.
In addition to the foundry operations, the Virginia Coke and Coal Company operated on the property from approximately 1910 until the 1940s. Based upon historical information, the operation included an engine house, machine shop, ore shed, oil house, and casting building and was located in the central western portion of the property.
- Impacts to both soil and groundwater resulting from historic uses of the property were identified in the Phase I and Phase II environmental assessments. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), metalloids, and metals were detected in soil at levels exceeding EPA Region III Regional Industrial Soil Standards and in groundwater at levels exceeding EPA Region III Regional Groundwater Standards.
- No institutional controls are currently in place.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 10 pages, 390 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination- Groundwater [PDF, 9 pages, 359 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
(Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is no longer under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Sharon D. Kenny (215)814-3417.