Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc.
Bristol Service Center
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- Safety-Kleen began leasing the Facility in August 1981 to serve as an accumulation point for spent solvents and a distribution center for reclaimed solvents. Safety-Kleen began terminating operations at the site in June 1994. The building was unoccupied from 1995 through 1998 as Safety-Kleen addressed closure requirements.
- Clean closure was approved in July 1999 for the Facility, and deactivation of EPA ID No. VAD 981 042 955 was requested in August 1999.
- A Final RCRA Site Visit Report was issued on February 13, 2009 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was noticed in the Bristol Herald Courier on May 8, 2009. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the Facility on June 16, 2009 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The site is approximately two acres in size housing one building with office space and a warehouse area, two smaller structures (paint waste shelter, and covered loading dock), a tank farm, and paved parking area.
- Safety-Kleen began terminating operations at the site in June 1994. The building was unoccupied from 1995 through 1998 as Safety-Kleen addressed closure requirements. Safety-Kleen submitted the required closure certifications and Closure Report for the permitted Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) at the site in June 1999. Clean closure of the SWMUs were approved in July 1999, and deactivation of EPA ID No. VAD 981 042 955 was requested in August 1999.
- Releases at the Facility were documented on April 4, 1998, April 24, 1998, June 15, 1998, and December 29, 1998. Additionally three releases were documented to have occurred from a Truck Washing Area to asphalt. During closure, approximately 2,000 tons of impacted soils were removed from the Facility in accordance with the approved Closure Plan. In addition, prior excavations of impacted soils had occurred during historic Facility upgrades. <
- Safety-Kleen Facility served as an accumulation point for spent solvents and a distribution center for reclaimed solvents
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 9 pages, 448 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 11 pages, 620 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 6 pages, 42 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Clean Bristol|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is being reused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.