Harris Corporation - Bldg #3
Formerly: Exelis Inc.- Night Vision & Imaging
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Michael Jacobi
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
Virginia DEQ Office of Remediation Programs
Program Manager, RCRA Corrective Action and Groundwater
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
- On July 10, 2009, EPA issued the Final Decision and Response to Comments (FDRTC) for the ITT site. In accordance with that decision, ITT Exelis has continued to remediate groundwater at both Building 1 and Building 3 locations.
- ITT Exelis is an active manufacturing complex. Operations have been ongoing since 1958. Currently ITT Exellis employs approximately 1400 employees. The facility consists of three major buildings and associated infrastructure located on two parcels of land in Roanoke, Virginia. EPA issued the facility two EPA identification numbers because the parcels are not contiguous.
- RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility were conducted under an EPA Region 3 Section 3008(h) Corrective Action Consent Order. The implementation of the Final Remedy is thru the Facility-Lead CMI agreement with ITT, signed in 2009.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are the primary contaminants of concern. Those found include: acetone, isopropanol, trichloroethylene (TCE) and its breakdown products, and 1, 1, 1 trichloroethane (TCA), and its breakdown products.
- ITT Exelis collaborated with the Roanoke County and Alleghany Regional Health Department officials to establish a moratorium on the drilling of any new water wells in the affected area of the community. However, four wells remain within the affected area. To ensure that these wells are not used for drinking purposes the Consent Order requires ITT Exelis to evaluate usage of these wells twice a year and to monitor new construction areas. In addition ITT Exelis is required to annually contact the Health Department to monitor the status of the moratorium. ITT Exelis reports the results of these evaluations to EPA and the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Long-Term Stewardship Assessment Report - June 2015 [PDF, 3 pages, 292 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF,8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 35 pages, 1.98 MB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Harris Corp (Exelis -ITT Night Vision Bldg #3)||Exelis -ITT Night Vision Bldg #3 GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1500 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Michael Jacobi (215) 814-3435.