Advansix – Hopewell
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Russell Fish
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3226
Virginia DEQ RCRA Program Manager
DEQ Office of Remediation Programs
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
- A total of 37 Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) were identified in the RCRA Facility Assessment Report. Of these, 14 SWMUs were identified as requiring further evaluation. The 14 SWMUs have been grouped into four study areas. Honeywell has completed a Phase I and Phase II RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) for the four study areas. Based on the RFI results EPA has requested additional field work (collection of groundwater and soil samples) to fill in data gaps that will complete the environmental investigation.
- Honeywell, (previously Allied-Signal Inc.) owns and operates an industrial chemical and fertilizer manufacturing facility in Hopewell, Virginia. The primary product of the Honeywell facility is caprolactam, which is the raw material for the manufacture of Nylon. Caprolactam is produced from phenol and results in the byproduct production of adipic acid and ammonium sulfate.
- Honeywell Hopewell is located approximately 1 mile southeast of the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers. The facility is bounded on the east by the James River and on the north by Poythress Run. Gravelly Run crosses the southern portion of the property. Both Poythress and Gravelly Runs are tributaries to the James River. Bailey Creek, located to the southeast of the Honeywell facility, is another tributary to the James River. The surrounding area is industrial with some residential areas to the north, south, and west of the plant.
- RCRA Corrective Action activities at the Honeywell, Hopewell facility are being conducted under an EPA Region III 3008(h) Administrative Order on Consent.
- Institutional controls, if required, will be determined at the time of remedy selection.
- Inorganic and volatile organic compounds are the main constituents of concern found in groundwater and soils at the site.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 10 pages, 38 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility maintains its current use and there has been no reuse of the facility property to date with the exception of a portion of the facility (Study Area 4) which has been converted to a wildlife habitat area.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Russell Fish (215) 814-3226.