Ashland Distribution Co.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
- An on-site meeting and a site visit were conducted on October 17, 2007, to discuss the Ashland facility located at 2410 Patterson Ave., S.W. in Roanoke, Virginia. EPA evaluated the information obtained during the October 17, 2007 site visit and after completing a second site visit in November, 2009 determined that additional sampling was needed to assess potential contamination at SWMU 5, a former storage area. The results of this sampling would help to determine if further RCRA Corrective Action will be necessary. A sampling plan was provided by Ashland Inc., and sampling was conducted at the facility on December 11, 2009. The results of the investigation indicated that the site did not require remediation, but institutional controls to limit property to industrial/commercial use would be warranted. EPA prepared a Statement of Basis to present the remedy decision by EPA and provided a 30-day public comment period. After the 30-day comment period no comments were received and on May 7, 2012, EPA issued a Final Decision and Response to Comments letter for the facility.
- The approximate 1.6 acre facility is located at 2410 Patterson Ave., S.W. in Roanoke, Virginia, approximately 2.5 miles west of downtown Roanoke. Ashland Distribution Company was a chemical and plastics distribution facility. The facility began operation sometime between the late 1960s and early 1970s. The facility is no longer active. Chemicals and plastics were received via truck, stored in bulk in containers, and then distributed to customers. On-site storage was limited to less than 10 days. Transportation occurred in facility operated vehicles which were maintained off-site. The facility operated with 5 employees, Monday thru Friday from 7AM to 4PM and occasional weekends as required. Blending of paint thinners did take place at the facility and no chemical manufacturing occurred at the site.
- The facility maintained and operated 18 above ground storage tanks (ASTs) for product storage. Facility representatives indicated 2 of the 18 tanks were compartmentalized to create 21 separate storage compartments. One compartmentalized tank had three compartments; the other compartmentalized tank had two compartments. The tanks ranged in size from 1,500 gallons to 10,000 gallons. Three of the tanks had a 10,000 gallon capacity.
- The storage tanks held MEK, acetone and other solvent type materials. The Product Tank-Farm is surrounded by a concrete dike which ranges in height from 24" to 48", with an approximate capacity of 13,600 gallons. The Product Tank Farm containment also collects storm water which is pumped out and surface discharged after visual inspection. Site storm water from the facility parking area and loading dock is collected in a separate gated containment structure which is also surface discharged.
- The final remedy for the facility included Institutional controls to limit the property to industrial/commercial use and the requirement that the company would develop and implement a materials management plan.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [7pp, 53 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [9 pp, 46 KB, About PDF]
- Statement of Basis for Institutional Controls [ 11 pp, 71 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4219
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ashland Distribution Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Bill Wentworth (215) 814-3184.