Ball Metal Beverage Container Corp.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- The Ball Metal Beverage Container Corporation (Facility) is a manufacturing facility that produces aluminum tops for beverage cans. The Facility produces tops from aluminum sheet metal stock, and applies a rubberized compound liner to the tops.
- A Final RCRA Site Visit Report was issued on January 14, 2008 for the Facility. A Statement of Basis (SOB) was noticed in the Bristol Herald Courier on March 3, 2009. The EPA issued its Final Decision regarding the facility on April 8, 2009 stating that Corrective Action was Complete without Controls.
- The Ball Metal Beverage Corporation (Ball) facility is located at 750 Old Abingdon Highway, Bristol, VA 24201 (hereinafter referred to as the Facility).
- The Facility is bordered by the Norfolk and Western Rail line to the northwest. Across from the railroad are apartment buildings. Beaver Creek borders the facility from the north corner to the southeast side of the main building. Old Abingdon Highway follows the same route as Beaver Creek. Residential buildings are located along the northeast side of the building, across Beaver Creek and Old Abingdon Highway.
- In 1971, the Reynolds Metals Corporation (Reynolds) built the plant that is now occupied and operated by Ball. In 1973, Reynolds started metal beverage end manufacture operations at the plant. In August of 1998, Ball conducted Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments, purchased the plant and continued facility operations.
- The Facility utilizes metal working equipment, and two liner material process lines. The first liner process line is water based compound, the second is a volatile organic compound (VOC) solvent based rubberized compound. The rubberized compound liner material consists of 43% VOC solvent (heptane).
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7pages, 92 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 9pages, 91 KB, About PDF]
- Corretive Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 5 pages, 39 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Ball Metal Beverage Container|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.