On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Estena A. McGhee
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3433
- Bayer's Damascus, Virginia facility was closed since 1986. In 1995, the company expressed a desire to expedite cleanup of the Site given its intention to donate the land to the City of Damascus.
- Bayer is a RCRA corrective action facility and conducted the RCRA Facility Investigation pursuant to an Administrative Consent Order issued March 30, 1989.
- EPA worked with Bayer to use interim measures (IMs) to expedite cleanup of polyaromatic hydrocarbons and lead contamination at the facility. The use of IMs for soil excavation resulted in a reduction in time for site cleanup. The need for a follow up corrective action order under RCRA 3008(h) for remedy implementation was eliminated by using the IM provisions of the order. This resulted in significant savings to EPA of oversight costs in addition to cost savings to Bayer. EPA's final decision announcing that the site was clean was the key to having the property successfully donated to the city. This decision gave the community comfort about the land transfer. The City of Damascus will see an economic benefit as it redevelops the land.
- Bayer is located in Damascus, Virginia, adjacent to the Beaverdam Creek, approximately one-half mile south of the Damascus town center and approximately 12 miles south of Abingdon, Virginia. The Virginia-Tennessee state line is one-half mile south of the plant. Bayer occupies 53 acres. The manufacturing facilities associated with the former textile dye plant occupied approximately 6 acres at the northern end of the property
- Past activities which may have impacted the environment include land disposal activities, use of surface impoundments for wastewater treatment, and chemical use, storage, and transport associated with manufacturing operations
- Primary cleanup was on polyaromatic hydrocarbons and lead contamination at the facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6pages, 22 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8pages, 24 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- Currently the site is an unused parcel.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Ms. Estena A. McGhee (215) 814-3433.