(Formerly: Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Michael Jacobi
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
Virginia DEQ Office of Remediation Programs
Team Leader, RCRA Corrective Action and Groundwater
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 698-4219
This facility is one of EPA Region III's high priority RCRA corrective action sites. On July 13, 2001, a RCRA Corrective Action Permit was issued to the facility to investigate Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) identified during the EI inspection and previous investigations/assessments of the facility. Huntington Ingalls has been investigating those SWMUs that were identified and listed in the permit under EPA’s direction. Groundwater was also investigated at the site by installing a number of groundwater wells. The investigation of SWMUs will continue thru 2014. The RCRA Facility Final Report is being prepared in 2015, and should be submitted in November. EPA and VDEQ will both be reviewing the Report.
Virginia DEQ re-issued the RCRA Corrective Action Permit in 2010, and updated it in 2011 due to the name change to Huntington Ingalls.
The shipyard is located on the southwest edge of the City of Newport News, Virginia, and has been operating since 1888. The facility encompasses approximately 0.75 square miles, and is bounded on the north and west by the James River; on the east by Washington, Huntington, and West Avenues; and on the south by 31st Street.
The facility constructs and repairs military and commercial ships. The facility is currently owned by Northrop Grumman; however, a name change was made in April 2011 to Huntington Ingalls.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 8 pages, 52 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Michael Jacobi (215) 814-3435.