Virginia Commonwealth University
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Luis Pizarro
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3444
- On September 1, 2005 an onsite meeting was held to discuss the facility history, locate previously identified solid waste management units (SWMUs), verify the results of a file review and gather information concerning the facility's current conditions. Attendees at the meeting included the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, VCU, USEPA, and the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Other than one hazardous waste storage area which has been clean-closed, no additional SWMUs or Areas of Concern were identified during the site visit.
- EPA published a notice in a local newspaper detailing the proposed Agency decision of no further corrective action. The thirty (30) day public comment period ended on February 20, 2007 and no comments were received during that time.
- On November 4, 2008, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a Final Determination of Corrective Action Complete without controls, no further corrective action is required at this time at the Virginia Commonwealth University Sanger Hall.
- VCU is a teaching and research institution with two campuses located in Richmond, Virginia. Sanger Hall is located on the East Campus, approximately ½ mile west of Interstate 95. It is a large multi-story building that occupies a major portion of the city block within the medical campus. VCU operates a hazardous waste storage area on first floor loading dock area of Sanger Hall, and has operated as a hazardous waste storage facility since January 15, 1976. Sanger Hall became subject to regulations promulgated under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act on November 19, 1980. On September 2, 1983, the Virginia Department of Waste Management (VDWM) requested that VCU submit a Part B application for Sanger Hall. VCU Decided not to pursue a Part B Application, and Sanger Hall's interim status was terminated on November 20, 1984. On February 19, 1985, VDWM approved the closure plan. In a letter dated July 12, 1985, VDWM approved the final closure of Sanger Hall as a treatment, storage, and disposal (TSD) facility. While Sanger Hall has been closed as a TSD facility, it still maintains its status as a small-quantity generator of hazardous waste. Hazardous wastes are presently stored at the facility but are removed within the required 90-day period.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 3 pages, 89 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7pages, 138 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 10pages, 132 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Virginia Commonwealth University|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Luis Pizarro (215) 814-3444.