Federal Mogul Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3391
Pennslyvania Dept of Environmental Protection
Charlene G. Sauls, PG, Licensed Professional Geologist
Waste Management Program
Southcentral Regional Office
909 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110
- Federal-Mogul received a Current Human Exposures Under Control Environmental Indicator (EI) determination on January 25, 2012 and a Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control EI determination on February 2, 2012. EPA is currently developing the Statement of Basis for the facility which will describe the selected remedy for the site.
- Federal-Mogul Corporation operated a ball-bearing manufacturing facility on Garfield Avenue (between Race Street and N. West End Avenue), in Lancaster, Pennsylvania from the mid-1950s through the mid-1990s. The Facility contains two separate single-story structures which accommodated approximately 80,000 square feet of manufacturing space and 3,000 square feet of office space separated by three open courtyards. Manufacturing processes at the facility included machining, press work, heat treating, and grinding. The Facility is located in a light industrial, commercial, and residential use zone.
- Several investigations have been conducted at Fed-Mogul: Facility Cleanup Report (1999), Site Characterization Report (2000), and investigations to meet Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) Act 2 requirements (2000 to 2004). The most recent on-site investigation was completed at EPA's request in December 2011 to assess the vapor intrusion pathway inside the east building. In addition, non-site related environmental investigations have historically been conducted both upgradient and downgradient of the facility.
- Federal-Mogul, Garfield Business Center LP (owner of the property immediately after Fed-Mogul), and PADEP executed a Consent Order and Agreement (COA) on July 2, 2004, requiring Fed-Mogul to obtain liability protection under PADEP's Land Recycling Program (Act 2). On August 30, 2004, PADEP approved the Facility's Remedial Investigation and Final Report (RIFR) and provided a letter to Federal-Mogul stating that the site attained a site-specific standard via pathway elimination and its post-remediation care plan. A deed notice acknowledging the presence of hazardous constituents at the Facility was required because site-specific standards were attained. The liability protection obtained from PADEP was transferred to Garfield Center, LLC, and subsequently to the current owner, the K & W Tire Company (K&W).
- A deed restriction that will remain with the property in future changes of ownership allows for only non-residential use of the property and prohibits the use of groundwater for any drinking or agricultural purpose.
- Arsenic is present in the site soils above PADEP's residential direct contact medium specific concentration (MSC), but below the non-residential MSC. A small chlorobenzene plume containing concentrations slightly above EPA's maximum contaminant level (MCL) is present near the intersection of Garfield and West End Avenues. No potable wells are located in the site vicinity.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 12 pages, 5.87 MB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 10 pages, 6.13 MB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 11 pages, 76 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Federal Mogul Corp.||Federal Mogul Geospatial PDF map[PDF, 1 pages, 1076 KB, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or Geospatial PDF map )
- The K&W Tire Company (K&W) currently uses the property for warehouse operations and office space. K&W leases portions of the buildings to tenants for use as warehouse space and retail stores. The building on the western half of the property is currently occupied by Nolt's Auto Parts and Gallo Kitchen & Bath. None of the current businesses operating at the Facility are listed hazardous waste generators.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Andrew Clibanoff (215) 814-3391.