ISG Tecumseh Redevelopment Inc.
(Formerly: Bethlehem Steel Corp.)
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Linda Matyskiela
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3420
RCRA Corrective Action activities at the Bethlehem Steel Works facility are being conducted as a joint lead by EPA and PADEP’s Land Recycling Program (Act 2).Environmental Investigation and clean-up are proceeding in concert with the redevelopment and sales of individual parcels of the property. Investigation and remediation, approved by both EPA and PADEP occurs before re-sale. As each of the parcels is sold, an environmental covenant is signed by the new and former owners, detailing the type of land-use and groundwater use controls appropriate for the parcel. This covenant runs with the land and binds each new owner to its restrictions.
Located on the south side of Bethlehem, PA, Bethlehem Steel’s Bethlehem Plant has been in operation since the 1880s. BSC closed its last operations in March, 1998. The site, part of which borders then Lehigh River, consists of approximately 1650 acres, on which are a coke production plant, steel iron making operations, finishing and forging operations, and a chemical plant. In May 2003, Bethlehem Steel Corporation went into bankruptcy and this Bethlehem Steel site was sold to an International Steel Group subsidiary, Tecumseh Redevelopment Corp. In May 2004, the Coke Works, Saucon, East Lehigh, and Greenway parcels were sold to Lehigh Valley Industrial Park, Inc, a local redevelopment firm and owners of several industrial parks. In 2004, Tecumseh Redevelopment sold Bethlehem Works to BethWorks Now. Tecumseh continued to own the 450 -Acre area. In 2004, a Dutch steelmaker, Mittal Steel, purchased ISG, including Tecumseh and the 450-Acre area. In December 2007, Majestic Realty Co. and Bethlehem Commerce Center Corp. purchased the 450-Acre area for warehousing.
EPA, PADEP and Bethlehem Steel Corporation-Bethlehem Plant (BSC) formed a team in 1998 to proceed with the clean-up of the facility. The facility is subject to RCRA corrective action, however, BSC’s redevelopment plans hinged on obtaining a release from liability which is available for remediation performed under the Pennsylvania Act 2 Land Recycling Program. The redevelopment plan is designed to revitalize South Bethlehem, which has been in an economic slump since BSC started downsizing in the 1970's.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis- Bethlehem Commerce Center[PDF, 29 pages, 17.25 MB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis- Majestic Parcel (Mittal Steel USA)[PDF, 15 pages, 842 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions Artsquest Parcel [PDF, 20 pages, 866 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions Majestic Parcel [PDF, 13 pages, 922 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions Lots 6 & 7 [PDF, 10 pages, 803 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions Lot 29 [PDF, 9 pages, 638 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions -LVIP -1235 Easton Rd[PDF, 20 pages, 880 KB, About PDF]
- PA DEP Environmental Covenant - Deed Restrictions -LVIP -1245 Easton Rd[PDF, 11 pages, 626 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|ISG Tecumseh Redevelopment Inc. -Former Bethlehem Steel||ISG Tecumseh -Former Bethlehem Steel Geospatial PDF Map [PDF, 1211 KB, 1 page, About PDF]||ISG Tecumseh -Former Bethlehem Steel Geospatial Bethworks PDF Map [PDF, 1302 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Linda Matyskiela (215) 814-3420.