De Vilbiss Somerset Health Care
(Formerly: Sunrise Medical)
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On March 21, 2000, EPA representatives visited the Sunrise Medical facility to perform a site inspection and to evaluate the current status of corrective action at the facility. After reviewing the available documentation on past and present waste management practices at the Facility, and further demonstrating through confirmatory soil sampling that historical operations at Sunrise had not adversely affected surrounding soils and groundwater, EPA has determined that no further corrective action is required at the Facility at this time.
- Sunrise Medical occupies a 14 acre site within a mixed residential and industrial setting in Somerset, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Since 1951, Sunrise has manufactured a variety of health related products including nebulizers and vaporizers for respiratory treatment. Wastes generated as part of this process include: Aerosol cans, isopropanol, parts cleaning solvents, waste oil, circuit boards and lead acid batteries. This waste is stored onsite for less than ninety days before it is transported off-site for disposal.
- EPA proposed that no further corrective action be required at the Sunrise Facility during a 45 day public comment period which ended on January 13, 2001. As no substantial comments were received from the public, EPA adopted the no further action proposal as its final decision.
- No contaminants of concern were detected above acceptable levels.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|De Vilbiss Somerset Health Care|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.