Lancaster Metals Science Corp
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3419
This facility, which was identified as one of EPA Region III's high priority RCRA corrective action sites, is a photochemical etching facility approximately one acre in size. In the September 2002, EPA completed an Environmental Indicator (EI) evaluation of the facility which determined that there is no current human exposure of concern or contaminated groundwater migration of concern at the facility. Based on this determination and other available information, EPA proposed that no action was necessary at the facility to meet RCRA Corrective Action requirements via a public notice in a local newspaper. The public notice solicited public comments on this proposal from October 22 through.December 6, 2007. No public comments were received. In January 2008, EPA issued a Final Decision and Response to Comments which determined that no further action was necessary at this facility with regard to RCRA Corrective Action.
Lancaster Metals Science Corporation is a photochemical etching facility which has been in operation at this location since March 1984. The ranking of this facility as a high-priority RCRA corrective action facility was based on the reported release of carbon tetrachloride to groundwater. However, inspections and investigations conducted in 1987 and 2002 found no evidence of past or current use of chlorinated solvents or carbon tetrachloride at the facility. Furthermore, an analysis of groundwater monitoring data from 1999 and 2004 at wells downgradient of the facility indicate levels of carbon tetrachloride below detection limits. Based on these inspections and investigations, it has been concluded that the report of the carbon tetrachloride release at this facility was in error and that there otherwise is no information which would suggest a potential release of any hazardous wastes or substances above protective levels at the facility.
EPA completed an Environmental Indicator (EI) evaluation of the facility which determined that there is no current human exposure of concern or contaminated groundwater migration of concern at the facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 2 pages, 42 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 122 KB, About PDF ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 113 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Lancaster Metals Science Corp|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.