Koppers Co. Inc. (Verona)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 814-5467
In 2016, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) determined that the Facility completed the requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action. A summary of the environmental investigation and remediation completed under the RCRA Corrective Action program is presented in the Statement of Basis document. The Facility will continue to comply with the postremediation care plan under the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection’s Land Recycling Program, which consists of maintenance of the asphalt cap above the coal tar layer and the concrete capsulation in the former trenches and sumps of Building 6. Furthermore, the Facility will comply with institutional controls (ICs) that restrict certain land and groundwater uses at the Facility. This determination of “Corrective Action Complete with Controls” is consistent with EPA’s February 2003 Final Guidance on Completion of Corrective Action Activities at RCRA Facilities (reference 68 FR 8757
The Site is approximately 10 acres and is located in Verona, PA. It is bordered on the northwest and northeast sides by Plum Creek, and on the south by Plum Street. The facility is located in a mixed residential and industrial area. Residential neighborhoods are located approximately 700 feet to 1,000 feet to the north, west, and south of the Facility. Plum Creek flows westward past the site and discharges in to the Allegheny River approximately three quarters of a mile to the west.
In 1915, the Facility was initially an asphalt production plant until 1951 when the Koppers Company, Inc. (Koppers) acquired the property and converted it into a research facility known as the Verona Science and Technology Center. The Center consisted of laboratories, pilot plants, administrative buildings, and support structures. It was used for research and development work in coal and coke, adhesives, protective coatings, pitch products (waterproofing), roofing systems, tar and other industrial products. Research and development operations ceased in the mid-1980’s. Several buildings and operations were closed under PADEP. In 1988, the site was secured, locked and remained vacant until 1996 when it was sold to Pearson, Inc..
Pearson, Inc., a firm engaged in light industrial manufacturing, currently owns the property. Pearson, Inc. leases the majority of the site to the Aloma Shim and Manufacturing Company, which Pearson, Inc. also co-owns. The Aloma Shim and Manufacturing Company's manufactures precision custom shims, fabricated parts, aloma shims, shim kits, alignment devices, and accessories. The remaining smaller parcels of the property are leased to various smaller commercial firms.
PCB residual contamination in Building #6 and
potential coal tar in groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision[ 1 pp, 54 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[ 14 pp, 7.1 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [ 8 pp, 1.1 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [ 10 pp, 1.8 MB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Koppers Co. Inc. Verona|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The site's future use is yet to be determined.