CCSWA Stabilized Disposal Site
(Chester County Solid Waste Authority, Lanchester Landfill)
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Maureen Essenthier
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
PA Department of Environmental Protection
Southcentral Regional Office
Ms. Charlene Sauls
909 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110-8200
- The Chester County Solid Waste Authority facility operates as a Municipal Waste Landfill. As such, it is routinely monitored by the PA Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP). The facility contains an active solid waste fill area and several closed fill areas, including a hazardous waste disposal area. Quarterly groundwater monitoring is conducted to assess releases from the landfill areas. The monitoring system includes 42 wells and 3 sumps. In addition, 27 off-site wells are sampled quarterly
- Remediation actions taken by the facility under the direction of the PADEP include: capping of closed disposal areas, removal of drums with solvent residue, clean-out of treatment/storage ponds, collection and treatment of leachate through sumps and collection trenches, collection of methane gas, and installation of water treatment systems at nearby properties.
- PADEP issues a Hazardous Waste Post Closure Permit for the hazardous waste disposal area on August 29, 2008. EPA issued a RCRA Corrective Action Final Decision and a RCRA Corrective Action permit on December 22, 2010.
- The EPA RCRA Corrective Action Final Decision requires operation, maintenance and monitoring actions for the landfill caps and the groundwater monitoring system, and compliance with and maintenance of institutional controls .
- The facility is a permitted, active landfill. As such, current and future access will be restricted to required operation and maintenance activity. The facility is fenced to prevent unauthorized access. Groundwater use will be restricted to monitoring and maintenance activities.
- The CCSWA Lanchester Landfill is located in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania on the boundary of Lancaster and Chester Counties. The areal extent of this facility is approximately 630 acres, the majority of which is within Lancaster County. The area surrounding the CCSWA property is mainly residential with some light commercial land use. Baldwin Electrical Company is adjacent to the site to the south-southwest.
- The facility is an operating, state-permitted, municipal waste landfill. It has two closed landfills: the Mountaintop Landfill and the Stabilized Waste Landfill. It also has an active Municipal Waste Landfill.
- Groundwater beneath the facility is contaminated with metals and organic compounds. The contamination is localized on the facility property, with the exception of the groundwater contamination at the adjacent Baldwin Electric property. There is no unacceptable exposure to the contamination on-site or at the Baldwin Electric property. The contamination is monitored by PADEP.
- Groundwater beneath the facility is contaminated with metals and organic compounds.
- The EPA RCRA Corrective Action Final Decision requires operation, maintenance and monitoring actions for the landfill caps and the groundwater monitoring system, and compliance with and maintenance of institutional controls.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Chester County Landfill CCSWA RCRA CA Final Decision [2pp, 43 KB, About PDF]
- CCSWA Post Closure Permit [2pp, 53 KB, About PDF]
- CCSWA Statement of Basis [13pp,473 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [10pp, 98 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [10pp, 215 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Landchester Landfill||CCSWA Landfill GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1112 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager:Ms. Maureen Essenthier (215) 814-3416