The International Metals Reclamation Co. Inc.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On July 2000, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a facility tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit. After an extensive review of existing information and the site visit, on October 2002, EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Therefore, both Environmental Indicators (EI) for Current Human Exposures and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater are under control. Moreover, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time.
- To complete the investigation, EPA issued a Statement of Basis (SB) that documents EPA's findings and proposal of "No Further Action" at the Facility at this time. A public notice on EPA's proposal appeared in the Ellwood City Ledger on December 11, 2002. The public had until March 12, 2003 to submit their comments on the proposal. After consideration of all comments received, and consistent with the requirements of RCRA and applicable regulations, EPA's decision is substantially unchanged from the original proposed decision of "No Further Action." On March 24, 2003, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the Inmetco facility at this time.
- INMETCO is located in eastern Ellwood City, southwest of Ell port Borough in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. The property is approximately 92 acres. It is the former site of the U. S. Steel Ellwood City Tube Mill, which operated prior to 1919 and closed in 1975. INMETCO later purchased the property and began operations in 1978. The Facility currently produces chrome and nickel steel alloy ingots from blast furnaces, electric are furnace emission control dusts, and other materials. The company processes the waste into pellets using city water and chromium-bearing wastewater. The pellets enter a rotary hearth furnace and are melted in an electric arc furnace. Metal additives are added to bring the alloy to specification. The alloy is cast into small pigs and marketed to the specialty steel industry, including generators supplying the processed waste. The plant is designed to produce 25,000 tons of remelt alloys annually.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments[PDF, 2 pages, 12 KB, About ]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 3 pages, 22 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 25 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 26 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|The International Metals Reclamation Co. Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410