Prior Coated Metals
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Grant Dufficy
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3455
During the last quarter of 2013 and the first quarter of 2014, Prior Coated Metals has been characterizing the soil and groundwater at their site. The primary objective of the site characterization activities was to further assess the presence and extent of impacted media associated with several identified RCRA SWMUs, including the Paint Storage Room and Spent Solvent/Paint Cartridge Area and exterior area to the plant east of that location. These activities were performed to support release of liability under Act 2 and to satisfy RCRA Corrective Action obligations under the "One Cleanup" Program.
Site processes include cleaning, painting, and heating cold-rolled galvanized coils of metal. The Facility houses a 390-foot long process line (in operation since 1962) that is generally comprised of the following components: cleaning/oil removal, chromic acid rinse, paint spray tower, ovens, and metal specification cutting. A drainage system located beneath the cleaning and chrome rinse lines empties into a concrete-lined sump that discharges wastewater to an on-site WWTP.
The on-site WWTP, which is used for pretreatment of wastes generated by the process line, has been on-line since November 1986. Prior to 1986, process-related wastewater was discharged directly to Allentown City’s sewer system under a permit issued by the City in February 1976. Semi-annual monitoring of effluent began in 1981. Exeedances of the permitted parameters, in particular chromium (detected at concentrations up to 1,200 parts per billion [ppb]), were identified on several occasions in the wastewater effluent.
Process wastes generated by the plant include wastewater that flows to a transfer pump and is pumped into chrome reduction tanks. Sodium metabisulfite and ferrous sulfate are added to enhance the chrome-reduction process. The water is pumped into a waste holding tank to control pH levels, followed by pumping into a precipitation tank at which point lime is added to aid in the settling of chromium hydroxide sludge. The sludge is pumped to a filter press where it is dewatered. The resulting filter cake is stored in a plastic-lined, roll-off sludge and removed off-site by Envirite Corporation.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [16 pp, 3.0 MB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Environmental Covenant - Deed Restriction [17 pp, 546 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [10 pp, 293 kb, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [12 pp, 1.8 MB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Prior Coated Metals|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
The site is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Grant Dufficy (215) 814-3455.