(Formerly: World Color Atglen )
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Maureen Essenthier
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3416
- The facility clean-up included several short-term actions to contain releases material. The final cleanup system, a groundwater and soil vapor extraction system, operated at the site from January 2000 until December 2003. Groundwater and soil monitoring continued through 2007 to assess the effectiveness of the clean-up. In March 2008, EPA determined that the final clean-up goals were attained and that the remediation of the site was complete.
- This facility has operated as a large printing plant site since it was constructed in 1970. It produces millions of advertising circulars and magazines per year. Soil and ground water at the site were contaminated with several organic compounds at levels above EPA's Risk Based Concentrations for human exposure. The contamination was caused by the release of several thousand gallons of solvent, primarily xylene and toluene, from above ground and underground tanks and pipes.
- The main contaminants in the groundwater and soil were solvents, primarily toluene and xylene. Benzene, ethylbenzene, tetrachloroethylene and bis(2-ethlyhexyl)phthalate were also detected at levels above human health standards. The EPA Final Decision set clean-up standards for these chemicals that are protective of direct human exposure. The soil clean-up levels also prevent further releases to groundwater. Off-site properties are no longer impacted by the facility contamination.
- The main contaminants in the groundwater and soil were solvents, primarily toluene and xylene. Benzene, ethylbenzene, tetrachloroethylene and bis(2-ethlyhexyl)phthalate.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Maureen Essenthier (215) 814-3416.