Sonneborn Corp.-Petrolia Plant
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
PA Department of Environmental Protection
Land Recycling Program
PADEP Project Manager
230 Chestnut Street
Meadville, PA 16335
Phone: (814) 332-6189
Email: : email@example.com
- EPA and the PADEP have reviewed available information and have determined that both human exposures to contamination and migration of contaminated groundwater are under control at the Sonneborn facility. The preliminary Remedial Investigation and Risk Assessment (RIRA) report submitted in April 2008 was later withdrawn. The May 2014 revision of the RIRA was disapproved by PADEP in August 2014. A revised RIRA incorporating PADEP comments is anticipated in the near future.
- Constructed in approximately 1885, the facility's current products include white oils, petrolatums and microcrystalline waxes. The facility is located on Route 268 in Fairview Township, adjacent to the Borough of Petrolia in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Approximately 250 acres in size, the facility lies along the South Branch of Bear Creek.
This facility is part of the area known as the Bear Creek Area Chemical Sites (BCACS), where primarily site-specific contaminants (i.e. resorcinol, sulfonic acids) have impacted groundwater, which has been prohibited to be used as a drinking water source in several boroughs and two counties in the area. All areas with contamination above levels of concern in the affected zone have been provided access to a public water system for potable use.
Institutional controls anticipated at this facility include a restriction on land use preventing residential-type development and a restriction on groundwater use as a drinking water source.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [10pp, 87 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [14pp, 83 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Sonneborn Corp. Petrolia Plant|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
Sonneborn continues to manufacture white oils, petrolatums, and microcrystalline waxes at the facility.