Allegheny Ludlum Steel
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- In July 1999, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a facility tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit. After an extensive review of existing information and the site visit, EPA has determined that both Environmental Indicators for human exposures and groundwater migration have been met. There is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time. In March 2002, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the Facility at this time.
- The Allegheny Ludlum facility is located in Vandergrift, PA and is approximately 63 acres in size. In 1988, Allegheny Ludlum acquired the majority of the Vandergrift plant from the USX Corporation. However, the frozen hollow dump site, which was used from 1930's to 1970's for disposal of slag and cinder, was retained by the USX Corporation. In 2009, USX entered into an agreement with the PADEP under the Pennsylvania's Land Recycling and Environmental Remediation Standards Act Program (Act 2) to address the cleanup of the frozen hollow dump site.
- The Allegheny Ludlum facility manufactures stainless steel coils the require various manufacturing techniques that include cold roll, anneal, pickle, silt and shear. The operations are used to cold roll, anneal, pickle, slit and shear stainless steel coils. The major machineries include cold rolling Z-mills, Anneal and Pickling Lines, a Temper Mill and various Coil Slitters. A permit-by rule wastewater treatment facility pre-treats wastewaters prior to discharge to the Kiskiminetas River..
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 26 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 24 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.