Former Fruehauf Corporation
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller- 3LC30
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3407
The final decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls became effective February 18, 2014 after a 30-day public comment period. No further action is required to make the former Fruehauf property suitable for any type of land use.
An Environmental Indicator (EI) Inspection was performed at the facility in November 2001. This inspection summarized several prior investigations and activities including the surface impoundment closure in 1984, the preliminary assessment of 1990, the removal of a 2000-gallon unleaded gasoline underground storage tank (UST) in 1990, and the removal of a 2000-gallon waste oil UST in 1997. As a result of the previous remedial activities and the conclusions of the EI inspection, EPA determined that both EIs were met at the facility in April 2002.
EPA visited the facility in December 2013 in order to obtain updated information on environmental conditions at the facility. Information obtained as a result of this visit included the removal of both an abandoned sewage treatment plant and a poly-chlorinated biphenyl (PCB)-containing transformer in 2006, and a general cleanup of both main buildings as a result of the impending departure of BAE Systems.
The former Fruehauf facility is situated on 42 acres of land located in Lemont Furnace, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The Greater Uniontown Industrial Fund purchased the facility in 1959 and leased it from 1961 to 1991 to the Fruehauf Corporation, who used the facility to manufacture and paint metal truck trailers. Fruehauf discontinued operations in 1991 and the facility was sold to Brier Hill Steel Company. From 1993 to 2013, the facility was leased to BAE Systems, formerly United Defense, who used the facility to refurbish and paint armored personnel carriers and military vehicles. Three buildings comprise the facility: the main production building, the paint shop building, and an office building.
Primary contaminants at the facility included volatile organic chemicals and heavy metals associated with prior painting and sandblasting operations and disposal in the former surface impoundment, and petroleum hydrocarbons from the former gasoline UST; however, after clean closure of the impoundment, removal of the gasoline UST and associated contaminated soil, and other remedial efforts, no contamination above levels protective of unrestricted use is expected to remain at the facility.
- Some of the site's key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF, 112 KB, 2 pages About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 352 KB, 8 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 911 KB, 14 pages About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination -Groundwater Migration [PDF, 830 KB, 16 pages About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on Thumbnail to Enlarge Photo
The two main buildings of the facility are currently vacant. Fayette Engineering continues to use the small office building for consulting purposes.
For more information about EPA’s corrective action webpage, including Environmental Indicators, please visit our site at: www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/ca/correctiveaction.htm