PPG Industries, Inc.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Paul Gotthold
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On July 1999, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a facility tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit.
- After an extensive review of existing information and the site visit, EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time. On July 2000, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further corrective actions are necessary at the Facility at this time.
- The PPG manufacturing facility is adjacent to the PPG R&D Center facility and together the two facilities occupy approximately 26 acres. Since 1947, Springdale plant has manufactured millions of gallons of paint every year, in batch sizes ranging from one gallon to more than 4,000 gallons. Industrial coatings made at Springdale are factory-applied by manufacturers of a wide range of products. These include recreational goods, such as golf balls and motorcycles; durables such as appliances and furniture; and architectural products, such as the metals used to frame high-rise building windows and curtain walls. Automotive refinish products, duplicating the color, texture and appearance of a car's original finish, are produced at Springdale and used widely in body shops for repair and custom work.
- EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|PPG Industries R &D Center|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.