Marjol Battery Site (Gould)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Maureen Essenthier
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
PADEP Project Manager
Mr. Len Zelinka
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Hazardous Sites Cleanup Program
2 Public Square Commons
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
Phone: (570) 826-5441
- EPA approved the final remedy and reported construction complete on 8/5/2010
- The remedy consisted of:
- Moved contaminated material away from near-surface, mined coal seams at the northern part of the site;
- consolidated the waste in a secure, on-site landfill, approximately 10 acres in area
- stabilized the top layer of waste with a cement mixture to provide redundant protection from releases;
- installed an engineered combination cap (soil and synthetic layers);
- planted and maintains a vegetative cover;
- cleaned the entire site surface to less than 500 parts per million lead (unrestricted use);
- continues monitoring, including blood lead screening;
- resampled community soil and demonstrated no recontamination;
- provides financial assurance for the maintenance of the remedy; and
- performs on-site and off-site sampling when necessary
- operates and maintains water runoff controls
- As of August 5, 2010, clean-up at the site is complete. All contaminated waste and soil is consolidated into a central containment area. The contaminated material is covered with a layer of clean, solidified soil, and an engineered synthetic cap. The construction of the final cap started in late spring and was completed in mid-summer 2010. PADEP and EPA are satisfied through sampling data that contaminated material was not released during the construction activities and that the cap is properly installed.
- Since the remedy is a permanent containment landfill, controls are required to prevent any unauthorized breach of the landfill cap. The area surrounding the landfill has been cleaned to allow unrestricted use. A Notice of Institutional Control and Access (Instrument Number 200714776, Lackawanna County Recorder of Deeds) restricts the use of the landfill cap area to operation and maintenance activities.
- The groundwater aquifer is not impacted by the site contamination. The aquifer beneath the site is a Class III aquifer that is not suitable as a water supply source. Therefore, no site controls on groundwater use are required.
- The owner has provided financial assurance for the construction and maintenance of the project by deposition money into a trust fund.
- The Marjol Battery and Equipment Company is a former battery processing facility located in the Borough of Throop, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania. From 1963 to 1981, Marjol operations involved battery crushing, lead reclamation, and on-site disposal of spent battery casings. In May 1980, Gould purchased the Marjol Battery and Equipment Company and subsequently shut down plant operations in April 1982. The site was stabilized in 1992 to prevent the continuing release of contamination from the site. Construction of the final clean-up started in May 2008.
- Prior cleanup actions by Gould include the cleanup of 133 residential and commercial properties adjacent to the site, and the stabilization of the site to prevent releases of contamination from the site.
- Lead is the primary constituent of concern at the Site. Lead is present in approximately 372,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil, battery casing material, and debris at the Site. Polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were identified in surface soil in former operational areas on Site. Lead was also identified in off-site soils in the surrounding community.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [8 pp, 26 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [9 pp, 26 KB, about pdf
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Marjol Battery Site Boundary||Marjol Battery Construction Complete 2011||Marjol Battery GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1904 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The site is currently unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Ms. Maureen Essenthier (215) 814-3416.