Pennsylvania House, Inc.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3410
- On March 22, 2000, EPA issued an Agency Determination that No Further Action is needed at the Pennsylvania House facility in Lewisburg, PA.
- The Pennsylvania House, Inc. facility in Lewisburg, PA is a furniture manufacturing plant in business since the early 1930s. Most of the hazardous materials at this facility are furniture finishes which contain mineral spirits and solvents. These wastes are temporarily stored on site and shipped off-site in less than 90 days
- In March, 1988, PADEP required Pennsylvania House to initiate assessment and cleanup from a spill of furniture stain. 1215 tons of soil contaminated with such chemicals as methyl ethyl ketone, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene were removed and placed in an approved landfill. The groundwater was not contaminated and PADEP approved the remediation activities in April, 1995.
- There is no need for institutional controls at the facility at this time.
- All contamination has been fully remediated. In 1988 1215 tons of contaminated soils were removed under supervision of PADEP. The groundwater beneath the site was not contaminated.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 25 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Paul Gotthold (215) 814-3410.