Allentown Paint Co.
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-3407
- An Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection was performed at the former Allentown Paint facility (Facility) in October 2007 to determine whether human exposures to contamination and migration of contaminated groundwater are under control. Several underground storage tanks were removed in the 1990s, and several soil removals in the 1990s and 2000s first led to the attainment of Non-Residential Statewide Health Standards (SHS) for soil in 2000, then to the attainment of Residential SHS for soil in 2003. Groundwater sampling in 1999 indicated slightly elevated levels of lead in each of the three wells on-site; however, groundwater in the vicinity is not used for drinking water and any contamination above the lead action level of 15 ug/L is not expected to migrate off-site due to the removal of the lead source and the physical properties of lead (low solubility and preference of binding to soil). This information from the EI inspection led to EPA's determination that both EIs are under control at the Facility. In July 2009, EPA issued a Final Decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls for the Facility.
- The former Allentown Paint facility is situated on an approximately 3.8-acre lot located on the corner of Graham and Allen Streets in Allentown, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania. The Facility was owned by the Helfrich family and manufactured various paints from the 1930s to 1989, when the Facility was sold to the Stulb Paint Company. Stulb continued to manufacture paint at the Facility until 1995, when they went out of business. From 1997 to the present, the property has been leased to several tenants as commercial and storage space.
- The primary concern was levels of lead in each of the three wells on-site.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 213 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 189 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 5 pages, 41 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is being reused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Griff Miller (215) 814-3407.