Bethlehem Apparatus Co. Inc
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
- As part of the Environmental Indicator (EI) inspection and evaluation for Current Human Exposures and Migration of Contaminated Groundwater, a comprehensive record search and review were conducted by the PADEP and its contractor, URS Corporation (URS). This undertaking consisted of evaluating the Facility's manufacturing operations and waste management practices, RCRA permit applications, historical spills and releases, documentation of previous site inspections, RCRA closure activities and correspondence between the EPA, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protections (PADEP) and the Facility.
- On October 2007, PADEP and URS conducted a site visit. The visit consisted of a plant tour and information gathering to assess the current status of the Facility. No obvious areas of concern were identified during the visit. Historically, there appears to be no indications of spills or releases that have negatively impacted soil, groundwater, surface water, or air that would lead to adverse impacts to human health or the environment at this time.
- EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility. Furthermore, EPA concludes that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time. On September 2009, EPA issued a Final Determination that no further action or land use controls are required at the Facility at this time. The Facility continues to operate under the Hazardous Waste Storage Permit (permit number PAD002390961) issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) for the storage and treatment of hazardous wastes.
- Bethlehem Apparatus Company, Inc. (BAC) is situated on approximately 1.2 acres of land at the western limits of the Borough of Hellertown, Northampton County, Pennsylvania. The Facility specializes in cost effective methods for recycling a wide variety of solid and liquid mercury bearing wastes. It is also a global supplier of prime virgin and high purity mercury and a manufacturer of glass-blowing equipment.
- In 1948, BAC was founded by Henry and C.W. Nieman. The business initially operated out of the Neiman's homes. In 1950, the Nieman's purchased a parcel of land from the Borough of Hellertown at Front and Depot Streets. By 1951, operations were moved to the new facility. At the new facility, BAC manufactured glass-blowing equipment and distilled mercury. Until 1975, manufacturing of glass-blowing equipment accounted for approximately 80 percent and mercury distillation was approximately 20 percent of the company's business. In the mid-seventies the Facility shifted the majority of their operations towards mercury recovery and distillation, which now accounts for approximately 90 percent of the current business.
- The primary concern was mercury however , EPA concluded that there have been no past or current releases that warrant further investigation or corrective action at this Facility at this time.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis>[PDF, 6 pages, 115 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 395 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 385 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Bethlehm Appartus Co.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use .
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Khai M. Dao (215) 814-5467.