Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
- The final decision of Complete without Controls became effective October 3, 2011 after a 30-day public comment period. No further action is required to make the former Lansdale Finishers property suitable for any type of land use.
- Environmental investigations began in the late 1980s. Remedial efforts were conducted in 2003-2004 in preparation for the transfer of the property and included the removal of a gasoline underground storage tank (UST). A soil sampling event was conducted in May 2011 to confirm that two unaddressed areas of the facility were not impacted by lead, cadmium, or chromium above levels protective of human health and the environment. More information on the investigation and remediation of the facility can be found in the Statement of Basis, below.
- The former Lansdale Finishers facility cleaned, treated, applied finish to, and baked pre-manufactured metal components. The facility had been in operation in some form since 1952, with Lansdale Finishers acquiring the property in 1968. Lansdale Finishers vacated the property in June 2003. The facility was sold to Boa Construction in March 2009 and remains vacant.
- Primary contaminants at the facility included non-halogenated volatile organic compounds (primarily benzene, ethyl benzene, and xylenes from the gasoline UST). The removal of the gasoline UST and surrounding soil eliminated this source of contamination, and the Phase II sampling completed in 2003 demonstrated that other suspected areas of contamination were not impacted above levels protective of human health and the environment. Furthermore, concentrations of lead, cadmium, and chromium from soil sampling performed in 2011 were below levels of concern. Therefore, EPA determined that the facility presents negligible risk for any type of potential exposure scenario.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 4 pages, 68 KB, About ]
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments[PDF, 3 pages, 21 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 7 pages, 217 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 1345 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The site is unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Griff Miller (215) 814-3407.