Philadelphia Coke Co. Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2796
The Philadelphia Coke Co., Inc. (PCC or facility) operated a gas manufacturing and coke production facility in Philadelphia County, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The facility was active from January 1929 until its permanent closing on May 12, 1982. A site visit on August 11, 2011 confirmed that all operations of the facility have been decommissioned, dismantled, and removed, with only cracked portions of concrete pads and asphalt paved areas remaining. The entire property is now overgrown with trees, brush and high grasses.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is currently reviewing existing environmental information to determine if further investigation is required. EPA will focus first on the health and groundwater impacts, if any, presented by the facility.
The facility is located at 4501 Richmond Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on a flat, 63-acre industrial site in the Bridesburg section of Philadelphia. The property is bordered by Richmond, Orthodox, and Buckius Streets, as well as the Delaware River. The main portion of the property, north of the former railroad tracks, is entirely enclosed by a chain linked fence.
The facility was operated by PCC from 1929 to 1982. The facility had various operations including coke storage, coal storage, coke oven batteries, a rail line, a smoke stack, decanter tar bottoms, gas holders, a boiler house, a machine shop, fuel blending operations, and other structures
According to a 1942 land use map, the property was owned by the Koppers Company (Koppers), which held the controlling interest in a joint venture with Eastern Enterprises. In 1950, Eastern Enterprises split from Koppers. PCC was a division of Eastern Associated Coal Corporation, a subsidiary of Eastern Enterprises. A 1962 land use map identified the facility was owned by PCC, which maintained ownership during the facility’s decommissioning.
In November 2000, KeySpan Corporation acquired Eastern Enterprises. Subsequently, in February 2007, National Grid USA purchased KeySpan Corporation. The City of Philadelphia Property Assessors website and stormwater website identified the property as being owned by Eastern Enterprises.
The facility was decommissioned, the structures were dismantled, and various cleanup and closure activities took place from 1982 through 1988, ultimately removing 30,000 tons of contaminated soil and operational related wastes. The site also underwent various environmental investigations including groundwater monitoring and soil sampling activities. Certified closure of the facility was provided to The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) in December 1994. As a result of stabilized groundwater monitoring trends of contamination, PADEP terminated the groundwater monitoring requirement in 1999.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 9 pages, 476 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 432 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Environmental Indicator Inspection Report- January 2012[PDF, 76 pages, 10.45 MB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Philadelphia Coke Co. Inc.|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo )
- The site is currently unused.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Kevin Bilash (215) 814-2796.