F. Bowie Smith & Sons Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Leonard E Hotham
Office of Remediation, LCD
US EPA Region 3
A public notice has been posted with comment period ending August 6, 2016.
- On December 5, 2012, F. Bowie submitted the RCRA Facility Investigation/Corrective Measures Study (RFI/CMS) for review and approval. The RFI/CMS is under review by EPA.
- The former F. Bowie Smith & Sons Facility (F. Bowie Smith), now owned by Birchwood Realty Co., Inc. (Birchwood), entered the Facility Lead Program on April 4, 2005. RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from the State of Maryland. The site characterization process is nearly complete. EPA is focusing first on the health and groundwater impacts, if any, presented by the facility. Once EPA/state completes this review process, an environmental indicator determination will be prepared and posted to this website.
- On May 20, 2015, F. Bowie Smith performed groundwater sampling at the site to evaluate current conditions at the site.
- F. Bowie Smith operated a wood-treatment facility at the site from 1952 until 1985. From 1982 until 1988, the site was partially occupied by the Chesapeake Wood Company, a firm that provided wholesale and custom lumber. The Chesapeake Wood Company was not engaged in chemically treating wood, but treated wood was stored on site. A Preliminary Assessment was completed in 1988 and a Site Inspection was conducted in 1990.
- Site buildings were demolished, and two geomembrane and soil caps were installed in the northwest area of the site, pursuant to an amended Consent Order between the State of Maryland and Birchwood Realty. The most recent groundwater monitoring report was submitted in December 2008.
- Contaminants of concern at the site, in both soil and groundwater, are pentachorophenol (PCP), creosote-derived constituents (mainly naphthalene), arsenic, and chromium.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision [ 132 pp, 14.6 MB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[ 128 pp, 14.2 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposure [ 8 pp, 384 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [10 pp, 494 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Smith F Bowie|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Leonard E Hotham (215) 814-5778.