The Sherwin-Williams Company
Update: After January 6, 2017, information about this RCRA Corrective Action site
will be available at:
Corrective Action Sites Around the Nation - Region 3
(Search for the Facility by Name, Location, or EPA ID)
Please be sure to update your bookmarks.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Luis A Pizzarro
Office of Remediation, LCD
US EPA Region 3
Maryland Department of Environment
Maryland Department of the Environment
Dr. Chau Nguyen
1800 Washington Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: (410) 537-3000
On February 11, 2015, EPA issued a Statement of Basis (SB) in which it described the information gathered during environmental investigations at the Facility and proposed a Final Remedy for the Facility.
Consistent with the public participation provisions under RCRA, EPA solicited public comment on its proposed Final Remedy. On February 11, 2015, notice of the SB was published on the EPA website: [https://www.epa.gov/reg3wcmd/publicnotice_ SherwinWilliams.html] and in the Daily Record newspaper. The thirty (30) day comment period ended on March 13, 2015.
Since EPA did not receive any comments on the SB and EPA has determined it is not necessary to modify the proposed Final Remedy set forth in the SB based on the comment; thus, the remedy proposed in the SB is the Final Remedy selected by EPA for the Facility on March 31, 2015.
EPA's Final Remedy for the Facility consists of the following:
* Monitored natural attenuation until drinking water standards are met and
* Compliance with and maintenance of land and groundwater use restrictions.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company facility is a 23-acre parcel in the City of Baltimore, Maryland, used since the 1940s to manufacture consumer and industrial products, primarily paints and other coatings. Prior to acquisition of the plant by The Sherwin-Williams Company in 1980, the plant was operated by the Artra Group, Inc. and by Baltimore Paint and Chemical Company. The plant is bounded on two sides by railroad tracks and industrial/commercial areas. Low-rise multifamily housing and Hollins Ferry Road border the property to the southeast and southwest. The parcel is fully developed and the plant is typically active around the clock. Engineered features of the property include building structures and process areas, indoor and outdoor raw materials above-ground storage tanks (ASTs), solvent separator tanks, rail car and tank wagon unloading/loading areas, and above-grade process piping lines. The plant is serviced by railcar and truck traffic although access is restricted by site security including an eight-foot fence topped with both razor and barbed wire and a 24-hour security force.
- Groundwater contains residual levels of several compounds including, mainly, toluene, 1,1,1-TCA (and breakdown compounds of 1,1-DCE, 1,1-DCA), benzene, ethylbenzene, xylenes, MEK, MIBK, and trimethylbenzenes. Soil is impacted primarily with petroleum hydrocarbons including toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes, and 1,3,5 trimethylbenzene and 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [PDF, 62 pages, 4.2 MB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 8 pages, 49 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 10 pages, 79 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Environmental Covenant (Deed Restriction) [PDF, 39 pages, 1.94 MB, About PDF]
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr Luis Pizzaro (215) 814-3444.