Transportation and Climate
Regulations & Standards: Federal Fleets
- Presidential Announcements & Letters of Support
- Fed Fleets
- Renewable Fuels
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Low-GHG emitting vehicle?
Section 141 of the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) requires federal agencies to acquire low greenhouse gas (GHG) emitting vehicles.
Each model year (MY), EPA evaluates the GHG emissions performance of the light-duty (LD) fleet to determine the maximum allowable GHG emissions level to be designated a low GHG-emitting vehicle.
- How do we define a low-GHG emitting vehicle?
- What vehicles are considered low GHG-emitting?
- What are the compliance levels by agency/office?
- Guidance document and other resources
How do we define a low-GHG emitting vehicle?
EISA 141 compliance levels are based on specific CO2 gram/mile maximum emissions levels. The CO2 emissions level threshold for any given model year will be determined by estimating the level needed to designate approximately 25% of cars and 25% of LD trucks and medium-duty passenger vehicles (MDPVs) as EISA 141 compliant.
EISA 141 Compliance Thresholds
(maximum grams/mile CO2 emissions)
|MY 2015||MY 2016||MY 2017|
|Light-Duty Trucks, MDPVs||380||375||375|
|FFV Passenger Cars* (on E85)||350||300||300|
|FFV Light-Duty Trucks* (on E85)||425||375||375|
What vehicles are considered low GHG-emitting?
Find a low GHG-emitting passenger car, truck, or FFV* for
- Model Year 2017 (PDF) (3 pp, 134K, EPA-420-B-16-061, July 2016)
- Model Year 2016 (PDF) (11 pp, 311K, EPA-420-B-16-030a, April 2016)
- Model Year 2015 (PDF) (12 pp, 356K, EPA-420-B-15-009a, March 2015)
* FFVs are listed separately under vehicle type, as some FFVs only qualify when operated with E-85. These vehicles must be operated with E-85 in order to qualify as low GHG-emitting.
What are the compliance levels by agency/office?
This chart displays the EISA 141 compliance levels by federal agency for fiscal year 2015 vehicle acquisitions as reported in FAST.**
|Agency/Office|| Fiscal Year 2015
|Corps of Engineers, Civil Works||30%|
|Department of Agriculture||67%|
|Department of Air Force||21%|
|Department of Army||38%|
|Department of Commerce||27%|
|Department of Energy||96%|
|Department of Health and Human Services||31%|
|Department of Homeland Security||68%|
|Department of Housing and Urban Development||30%|
|Department of Justice||82%|
|Department of Labor||100%|
|Department of Navy||67%|
|Department of State||100%|
|Department of the Interior||25%|
|Department of the Treasury||98%|
|Department of Transportation||100%|
|Department of Veterans Affairs||85%|
|Environmental Protection Agency||100%|
|General Services Administration||61%|
|National Aeronautics and Space Administration||100%|
|Office of Personnel Management||66%|
|Social Security Administration||96%|
|Tennessee Valley Authority||59%|
|U.S. Postal Service||99%|
|United States Marine Corps||100%|
*Vehicles that use the “functional needs” or “alternative measures” exceptions are considered compliant (see page 8-9 in the Guidance (PDF) (28 pp, 1.0MB, EPA-420-B-16-055, May 2016) for details).
**For simplicity, only agencies with 50 or more fiscal year 2015 vehicle acquisitions are displayed. Agencies with fewer acquisitions are still subject to EISA 141.
Guidance document and other resources
- EISA Sect. 141 Guidance (PDF) (28 pp, 1.0MB, EPA-420-B-16-055, May 2016)
- EISA Sect. 141 Vehicle GHG Assessment Tool Final (XLS) (34K, May 2014)
- Earlier version: EISA Sect. 141 Vehicle GHG Assessment Tool Final (XLS) (57.5K, June 2013)
- For assistance with "alternative measures," agencies should look into U.S. EPA climate-related partnership programs that provide a wide variety of services and resources to measure and reduce GHG emissions. These programs include:
- SmartWay Transport Partnership
- Landfill Methane Outreach Program
- Green Power Partnership
- Combined Heat and Power Partnership