Nonroad Engines, Equipment, and Vehicles
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Nonroad engines are used in an extremely wide range of applications, each involving great differences in operating characteristics, engine technology, and market dynamics. EPA has adopted emission standards for all types of nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. These standards apply separately for each of the categories shown. Additional requirements apply for in-use gasoline and diesel fuel.
- Fact sheet: Diesel Exhaust in the United States (PDF) (412K, EPA420-F-03-022, June 2003) - an overview of diesel exhaust health and environmental effects.
- Health Assessment Document for Diesel Engine Exhaust
- Fact Sheet: Plain-Language Format of Emission Regulations for Nonroad Engines (PDF) (6 pp, 242K, EPA-420-F-12-054, August 2012)
- How to Maintain or Rebuild Engines Certified to EPA Standards (PDF) (4 pp, 142K, EPA-420-F-12-052, August 2012)
- 2012-2013 Progress: Report Vehicle Engine & Compliance Activities (PDF) (87 pp, 2.2MB, EPA-420-R-15-007, October 2015)
- 2009 - 2011 Compliance Report: Vehicle and Engine Compliance Activities (PDF) (74 pp, 11MB, EPA-420-R-13-006, December 2013)
- 2008 Progress Report: Vehicle and Engine Compliance Activities (PDF) (49 pp, 3.9MB, EPA-420-R-10-022, August 2010)
- 2007 Progress Report: Vehicle and Engine Compliance Activities (PDF) (64 pp, 890K, EPA420-R-08-011, October 2008)
- Nonroad Engine and Vehicle Emission Study Report (EPA-21A-2001 or EPA460/3-91-02, November 1991).
This "nonroad study" quantifies the contribution of nonroad sources to air pollution, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), carbon monoxide (CO), and particulate matter (PM). This study covers 10 equipment categories, including: lawn and garden equipment, farm and construction equipment, recreational vehicles, marine vessels, and airport service equipment.
- Body of report (PDF) (140 pp, 3.86MB, November 1991)
- Appendices (PDF) (415 pp, 4.31MB, November 1991)
- Emission Standards Reference Guide
- Certification Tools
- Engine Certification Information Center
- Hardship Exemptions
- Certification Fees
- Importing Vehicles and Engines
- Nonroad Vehicle and Engine Emission Modeling